News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD

Started by PhiloB, May 03, 2014, 01:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

I've been searching for an epiphone dot or similar semi-hollow body.  Came across one in pieces on Craigslist with Gibson USA 490r/t pickups.  I had an old beat up epiphone hummingbird acoustic (without electronics) that he was interested in.  We did a straight trade.  Turns out the pickup wiring was a wreck.  In fact, the pots were covered in solder.  It would ground out when put in the body.  I had to remove the wrapping and rewire things.
Once I got it all put together I realized the pickups were out of phase.  So I flipped the magnet and now have a very sweet semi hollow.  I had a Washburn Wes Montgomery years ago and was never happy with the pups.  These 490r/t sound great.  Very happy!
Also in the deal: Pedaltrain Pt-1, set of Lace Sensor Blue/Silver/Red, and a brand new hards shell case for the Dot.
Couldn't be happier!

Leevibe

Mike B.

Nice score indeed! I have one almost exactly like it with a JB in the bridge and an SH-2N Jazz in the neck. Decent pickups make a huge difference in those guitars!

PhiloB

Yeah, it exceeded my expectations.  I played it in church on Sunday and had an old lady tell me my tone rocked (in her own words:) Never had a senior adult comment on my sound, much less a woman;) .... Wait a minute, maybe that's a bad thing!

rullywowr

Dots are great guitars. With a little tweaking they are nice sounding workhorses.  Great job on the rewiring ;)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jkokura

Yeah, I love mine. I put a set of Sheptone PAFs in there, and it's perhaps one of the coolest sounds I've got. Play with a little gain and you can get it really singing.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

PhiloB

Just looked those pups up Jacob.  Guy making them sounds meticulous.  I bet the pickups do as well.