News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Good solder in EU

Started by HailToTheBlues, May 02, 2014, 09:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hi,
I would like to know a good place to buy solder here in EU, because due to the law, i can't buy solder from stores like radioshack because they are from the USA (but you probably already knew that). I had some solder that my father found between is tools, but now i need to buy more solder, and i wanted a good quality one. Also, could you tell me a good place to buy hook up wire? The thing is, i bought a couple meters of wire from musikding, but the isolation melts when i solder. Don't know if that effects the sound, but at least, it doesn't look that good, you know.

Kind regards

juansolo

If you're ok with ordering from the UK and using leaded solder, this is what I use: http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equipment/Autosol-Bit-Saving-Solder-Flux-RA-22swg-500g-85-6242

Can't help with the hook up wire as all the stuff I use is now out of production. I have stocks, but when they run out, I'll be in the same boat looking for alternatives.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

deafbutpicky

If you melt the insulation pre-solder the tip, about 5mm should be enough. For the solder braid
go for the one with led, mother nature will squeal in awe but it melts so nicely.

GermanCdn

The 1 mm solder from Obi is very nice and easy to get in the EU.  Next time I am in Germany I am going to buy a coiple of rolls to bring back.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

HailToTheBlues

Thanks for the answers.
So, which one are you talking about? (the solder from OBI) Because there's more than one.
And for the hook up wire, no one knows a good place to buy it?

Vallhagen

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on May 03, 2014, 06:42:49 PM

I hope im not steppin' a toe, but i think the hookup wire you got from musikding is all ok. The insulation melts on all common wires, because its plastic and cant stand heat. It's natural. The key is to solder fast, 2-3 seconds on each spot, not more.

I buy more from banzaimusic than musikding, though moustly they carry the same stuff.

Cheers:)

Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

twin1965

RobA

Quote from: twin1965 on May 03, 2014, 07:58:01 PM
I recently bought this and it's worked out fine: http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=238_245&products_id=2073

I don't like lead free solder!

It depends on the type of Pb free solder. I hated the first couple of types I tried, but the SN100C stuff I have now is excellent and I prefer it to lead based solder.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: Vallhagen on May 03, 2014, 07:24:35 PM

I hope im not steppin' a toe, but i think the hookup wire you got from musikding is all ok. The insulation melts on all common wires, because its plastic and cant stand heat. It's natural. The key is to solder fast, 2-3 seconds on each spot, not more.

I buy more from banzaimusic than musikding, though moustly they carry the same stuff.

The problem is that it is stranded hook up wire, and i need to tin the wire to solder, at least that was how i used to solder my guitar. Do i need to tin the stranded wire? Because to tin the wire, i need to heat it, and that's when it starts to melt.

HailToTheBlues

I was checking the OBI solder, and unfortunately they only ship inside Germany, they don't ship internationally, so maybe there's other options

m-Kresol

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on May 03, 2014, 09:08:50 PM

The problem is that it is stranded hook up wire, and i need to tin the wire to solder, at least that was how i used to solder my guitar. Do i need to tin the stranded wire? Because to tin the wire, i need to heat it, and that's when it starts to melt.

I also use the regular stranded wire from musikding and I'm not having real problems with any melting of the insulation plastic. Neither when I tin the wire, nor when soldering the pre-tinned wire to the pcb or lug.
I generally solder around 300°C with lead-containing solder. You might want to decrease your soldering temperature or try to get the iron in and out faster.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: m-Kresol on May 04, 2014, 01:28:39 PM
Quote from: HailToTheBlues on May 03, 2014, 09:08:50 PM

I also use the regular stranded wire from musikding and I'm not having real problems with any melting of the insulation plastic. Neither when I tin the wire, nor when soldering the pre-tinned wire to the pcb or lug.
I generally solder around 300°C with lead-containing solder. You might want to decrease your soldering temperature or try to get the iron in and out faster.

yeah, maybe the problem isn't the wire itself but the time i keep the iron in it, i was used to the vintage wire, the push-back kind, and the isolation of that wire doesn't melt due to the fact that it isn't made of plastic. Well, with time, i'll fix that problem  :D

HailToTheBlues

I was checking the solder that musikding sells, so i sent an email to Klaus from musikding and he said that it is 60/40 with rosin core. Don't know if it is any good, but maybe someone can advise me on that.

This is the solder i'm talking about:

http://www.musikding.de/Solder-100gr-056mm

Now i feel dumb for asking him what type of solder was, because i just noticed that the composition of it was written below ("Sn60Pb40")

twin1965

I bought this solder sometime last year (although it could have been UK-Electronic). It's made in Poland and was good to work with.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Stig

The one on musikding seems fine. I say buy it, its only 3€.
To me, solder is solder. It melts and make components stick in place:-) 
I think i have some lead free stuff from musikding that I have been using for some time. It works.