Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What's up with Tonepad?

Started by slimtriggers, May 02, 2014, 03:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimtriggers

Looks like the site is down.  I hope it's just maintenance  :-\

selfdestroyer

I hope its not gone... what would be sweet are some new designs. If you need something specific you can always use Google Cache to grab stuff.

Cody

slimtriggers

It's back up  ;D  I was looking for the Ross Phaser layout and the site kept timing out.  I checked http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ and it confirmed the site was down.  Had me worried for a minute.

davent

Today at diysb Francisco posted a Tonepad/personal update in the members section.

I'll take a chance to post about Tonepad today, I've been inactive in the forum for a very long time.

Guys, We've been having technical difficulties of all sorts. I need to explain what has happened and why I have been taking so long with the orders.
In my personal life: School ended back in 2007 (been an architect since), got married, moved to Illinois so my wife could get her masters, then started a pedal company, moved to Seattle for work reasons, then to California, then moved to El Salvador (fullbright scholarship reasons), then moved to San Francisco, had a baby, and now I'm down here in Central America again taking care of family and stuff. So it's been a lot of moving in the past 7 years. Baby Emily was born in San Francisco, January 23rd (just like Django Reinhardt's birthday, on a very cold winter dawn)

With regards to Tonepad: I had a person working for a few years, he was my buddy and it worked well, but our packages got lost or held at customs for a long time, so shipping (and a lot of the legal matters too) were moved to the USA, we've been under an LLC, taking care of our stepped on copy rights and paying a ton of fees and taxes, HURRAY!! I am now in a final stage of setting up a new shipping person and we've been getting better too at emails, since I've got more time for that. A lot still gets caught in the middle of hundreds of emails that we get a day (many junk too). For the future, we have Small Bear lined up to start selling Tonepad boards soon.
The other issue we had with Tonepad was with Chinese and middle eastern hackers, I lost two years of build reports due to a corrupted database. And I'm still on a backup that only has up to 2010 I think... So a lot of work has gone into plugging security holes in our 12 year old website. It's a lot better now.
We keep having a steady stream of orders, and also some unhappy customers, but we're reaching out to every one of them to make sure we make it right.

I released a partial PDF of the Rebote Delay 3 today, I've decided to release it in installments to be able to sell some boards. It's been a long road but Tonepad is 12 years old, and it's harder to keep up.

Please contact me for anything with regards to Tonepad. I'll try to keep up with the forum a little better.
Keep on Rocking.
Fp

If you're a member there... http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=76418.msg971549#msg971549
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

culturejam

Sounds like an interesting life. Moving internationally half a dozen times in 7 yeas must be tricky.

I recall back in 2008 or so, I posted a method to remove the restrictions from the Tonepad PDFs so that guys who etch could isolate the transfer artwork and not have to waste an entire friggin sheet of Press n Peel for a single board. Francisco gave me all kinds of hell, made a huge stink about it on the forum, and threatened to take down all of the Tonepad files. And of course Aaron censored my post to remove the info. That was right about when I started hanging out at FSB. ;)

Looks like he's manage to unwind a bit since then.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

davent

The pdf's are, or at least have been, totally editable if opened in Inkscape... is that a secret?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

culturejam

Quote from: davent on May 03, 2014, 05:16:00 PM
The pdf's are, or at least have been, totally editable if opened in Inkscape... is that a secret?

No. And what I posted didn't involve any "hacking". They just didn't like that I was trying to help guys who weren't computer nerds. Actually, I'm not  really sure what made Franc/Aaron so irrationally angry. But after that, I didn't post much there much. I still don't like the place because of that. Well and because it's a huge hodge podge of random content that has no subcategories and a terrible search engine. Too bad, because there is a trove of good info there.

davent

Looks like i'd be in big trouble with what i get up to... anyways...

I find the search function there works pretty well for me, i especially like the ability to search for posts by poster name as i seem to remember those, and a good keyword, i can find particular posts i need very quickly.
dave

juansolo

Quote from: culturejam on May 03, 2014, 07:08:49 PM
Quote from: davent on May 03, 2014, 05:16:00 PM

No. And what I posted didn't involve any "hacking". They just didn't like that I was trying to help guys who weren't computer nerds. Actually, I'm not  really sure what made Franc/Aaron so irrationally angry. But after that, I didn't post much there much. I still don't like the place because of that. Well and because it's a huge hodge podge of random content that has no subcategories and a terrible search engine. Too bad, because there is a trove of good info there.

It is utterly IMPOSSIBLE to find anything on there. Without signing on every day, multiple times, I'm not sure how anyone keeps track of it. The only things I ever find there are by chance. In the end I relegated it to my less visited pedal sites tab (along with FSB and a few others odds and sods). I just don't have the time and the patience for it any more. FSB is great, I just find it a tad abrasive at times. I can do without that too. TGP keeps popping in and out of there depending on whether I'm in the mood for car crash entertainment or not. Currently I've lost interest there too, but it'll come back at some point to see what the latest craze the kids are into these days.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

culturejam

Using Google to search within the DIYstomp site is the only way to find anything with consistency.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: culturejam on May 03, 2014, 08:03:51 PM
Using Google to search within the DIYstomp site is the only way to find anything with consistency.
+1

Example:
Google This
site:www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php fuzz face

madbean

Keeping multiple words in-between quotes seems to help, e.g. "fuzz face".

davent

I don't know, i find Mouser and Digikey pretty easy/simple as well.
dave

selfdestroyer

Quote from: madbean on May 03, 2014, 09:40:47 PM
Keeping multiple words in-between quotes seems to help, e.g. "fuzz face".

Also you can minus words like -silicon

Govmnt_Lacky

I "used to" etch boards from the Tonepad pdfs. All I did was cut the PnP to fit and taped it onto a pre-printed project sheet from Tonepad. Loaded back into the printer.... hit print again.... BOOM! An etchable transfer.

Just seemed like comon sense to me. Why would anyone put an entire sheet into the printer? I just assumed that was what everyone did  8)