News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB Layout for Musical Effects

Started by upthepunxxx, May 01, 2014, 08:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upthepunxxx

Quote from: twin1965 on May 06, 2014, 09:10:27 PM
Yes, you can still use it. The unused side will just dissolve when etching.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Haha that would make sense! Thanks man :-[
Wake up and smell the noise!!

upthepunxxx

Quote from: upthepunxxx on May 07, 2014, 12:44:08 AM
Quote from: twin1965 on May 06, 2014, 09:10:27 PM
Yes, you can still use it. The unused side will just dissolve when etching.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Haha that would make sense! Thanks man :-[

I just had a couple questions I was finding online. What do you guys do with the used etchant? Ferric chloride to be exact. Also have you guys tried the sponge method?

As far as drilling what size bits do you use. I bought some really small ones like 1/32 and 3/64 and those seem to match the sizes on the madbean and jmk boards I have. But they don't fit in my drill press. Do you guys use like a smaller hobby press or something or some sort of chuck adaptor? Anyways hope everyone had a killer holiday weekend! Thanks so much for taking the time to read this thread. It is very seriously greatly appreciated!

davent

For drill bits, carbide  #71 covers just about everything (next time i'll get a #70) and where needed, a #65 for big diodes and 22awg wire (again, next time one size bigger, #64). The tiny carbide bits all have a 1/8" base so easy to chuck in a regular chuck but i found my big press really didn't appreciate being run continuously at top speed for an hour at a time so went back to using a dremel press.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

upthepunxxx

Quote from: davent on May 27, 2014, 10:22:46 PM
For drill bits, carbide  #71 covers just about everything (next time i'll get a #70) and where needed, a #65 for big diodes and 22awg wire (again, next time one size bigger, #64). The tiny carbide bits all have a 1/8" base so easy to chuck in a regular chuck but i found my big press really didn't appreciate being run continuously at top speed for an hour at a time so went back to using a dremel press.
dave

Thanks! So I should buy #70, #71, #65 & #64 and I should be covered?

Jopn

I bought this set for $5.50 free ship and works for my needs perfectly:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-PCB-Print-Circuit-Board-Carbide-Micro-Drill-Bits-Tool-0-3mm-to-1-2-mm-New-/121321280389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3f4fd385

Quote from: upthepunxxx on May 28, 2014, 06:20:09 PM
Quote from: davent on May 27, 2014, 10:22:46 PM
dave

Thanks! So I should buy #70, #71, #65 & #64 and I should be covered?

davent

Carbide bits are extremely fragile at this size so you really want multiples of the sizes you do use, they break long before they wear out. I drill everything first with the #71 then go back and redrill those that need to be bigger. Always with a drill press and no wobble. The odd much bigger size needed gets enlarged with cheap HSS bits as these are easy for me to get hold of and robust enough to drill with freehand.

#71 is fine until you need to change out a component then the tight squeeze can make it a bit of a challenge hence next time i'll get the bigger #70 and the #64 vs#65.

The ones i'm using came from Drill Bit City but i see now Small Bear is stocking carbides as well.

http://drillcity.stores.yahoo.net/newtuncardri.html
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

upthepunxxx

Oh ok, got it. Im gonna order the 5 packs from that site of 70s & 64s. Is it worth it to order new bits? Or did you order the re sharpened bits?

Quote from: davent on May 28, 2014, 07:09:07 PM
Carbide bits are extremely fragile at this size so you really want multiples of the sizes you do use, they break long before they wear out. I drill everything first with the #71 then go back and redrill those that need to be bigger. Always with a drill press and no wobble. The odd much bigger size needed gets enlarged with cheap HSS bits as these are easy for me to get hold of and robust enough to drill with freehand.

#71 is fine until you need to change out a component then the tight squeeze can make it a bit of a challenge hence next time i'll get the bigger #70 and the #64 vs#65.

The ones i'm using came from Drill Bit City but i see now Small Bear is stocking carbides as well.

http://drillcity.stores.yahoo.net/newtuncardri.html

selfdestroyer

I grabbed a few from Smallbear awhile back and they work great with my drill press.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1442

Cody

davent

Had a look and found the receipt, 2009, the prices are the same as the present day new bits prices so i guess i bought new bits, can't comment on the resharpened bits but if that means the working shaft is shorter, i'd get those. For pcb work we only need to be able to drill through a 1/16" piece of fiberglass. My new bits have a 1/2" long shaft, if they were just long enough to go through the pcb the chances of breaking them would be tremendously reduced.

And when they do break, there's usually enough shaft left to continue using them but you have to have better aim while drilling.
dave

selfdestroyer

All the bits I have ever used have been the resharpened ones. I got a huge pack from ebay a year ago and still have been using them. The Smallbear ones I got were just a few odd sizes I needed for a project. The resharpened ones have no issues with my drill press and FR4 that I have found. Cuts clean and like butter.

Cody

rullywowr

I use 0.8 mm almost exclusively.  Great results with dremel drill press at max speed.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

upthepunxxx

Thanks so much homies! I just ordered packs of 5 of the recommended sizes. I bought resharpened and a coupe new to see if I could tell the difference. I'm gonna try my drill press for now but if it's to wobbly I might by a dremel stand and give that a shot. I will keep you posted. I plan on doing a post for my etch once it's done and (fingers crossed) working. I already made the board and it was a ton of fun! Now I'm curious to see if it works!

upthepunxxx

Hi Guys!

I did it! I etched my first PCB, and drilled it! I took the advice from this post and ordered some carbide 1/8in shank bits from drill city and they worked perfect with my press. Unfortunately the board doesnt exactly work, but I figure thats an even better reason to finish up my JMK Testing rig and see whats up. I've never really drilled anything that small before so I have a feeling I may have messed up some holes and possibly created solder bridges or disrupted connections. Not sure.

Also Cody's PCB Etching tutorial was extremely helpful. Thanks for helping me out with this doodes! This place is the best. Everyone was right, now I just want to hole up in my room and start etching some boards, maybe get one that works. Hopefully once I get some under my belt they will look a little nicer and maybe work.

Here are some pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121224112@N02/sets/72157644605893387/

selfdestroyer

Great job on the etch and build. Now get ready for the pedal building addiction to escalate exponentially. One thing I do also is I wet sand the FR4 side of the board along with the copper side after my drilling just to make sure all burrs and FR4 tidbits are removed. Might help with unwanted bridges.

Cody

upthepunxxx

Thanks Cody! Ill give that a shot. I'm gonna trouble shoot this one for a bit, but not spend too much time on it. I think it might be more beneficial (and possibly more fun) to just get started on a another one and apply this new tip. I figure the more I get under my belt the better. Plus, its so damn fun!!

Quote from: selfdestroyer on June 05, 2014, 12:36:42 AM
Great job on the etch and build. Now get ready for the pedal building addiction to escalate exponentially. One thing I do also is I wet sand the FR4 side of the board along with the copper side after my drilling just to make sure all burrs and FR4 tidbits are removed. Might help with unwanted bridges.

Cody