News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what delay pedal should i build?

Started by zilla, April 30, 2014, 08:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zilla

i'm not really a big delay user. I have a g-major 2 and i rarely use the delay effect on it.

that being said, the voices inside my head are telling me to build a delay pedal (and a chorus pedal). i must listen to them.

so... which delay to build?  Was thinking either an aquaboy deluxe or zero point mini?

please help before the voices tell me to build other modulation pedals :)

jkokura

cue the 'all of them' answers.

Really, there are so many to choose from right now, and the options available are all really good. Let's try and narrow this down with a few questions:
1. Do you like simple (3 knobs) or are you ok with many knobs?
2. Do you need/want Tap Tempo?
3. Do you want something that fits in a small box or do you mind a 1590BB or larger?
4. Do you need/want analog delay or is the PT2399 digital delay fine with you?
5. Are you ok with spending lots of money on this build, or do you want something cheap to build?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

zilla

like i said, i'm not really much of a delay user, so I'm not too familiar with the differences between analog and digital.

tap tempo: doesn't matter

# of knobs is not a big deal

enclosure size doesn't matter

define "lots" lol

culturejam

If you just want a delay to futz around with, I'd go with something simple. Give madbean's Cave Dweller a try.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jkokura

Cavedweller from Madbean, the Modulay from JMK, or the Multiplex Jr from 1776 would all fit the bill I think.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

timbo_93631

ZPDD is a pretty easy build that also sounds fantastic, it is a little densely packed, but no real pitfalls due to complexity of calibration.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

zilla

i do want something that sounds good.

Build complexity is not an issue.  I'd even say give me something challenging.

pryde

my vote is Multiplex Jr.

GREAT sounding delay with switchable modulation and a pleasurable build altogether.

Sound demo of mine if you wish

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jpparlier/tape-echo-2-mpj[/soundcloud]

twin1965

The multiplex is a great delay. It's not too complex and the layout is good. It's a joy to solder the components. And it sounds fantastic too! The three delay types are very usable.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

rullywowr

All of them!  I'd have to agree, the multiplex, cave dweller, and deep blue delay (sea urchin) are all great and not too hard.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

davent

Quote from: pryde on April 30, 2014, 10:05:30 PM
my vote is Multiplex Jr.

GREAT sounding delay with switchable modulation and a pleasurable build altogether.

Sound demo of mine if you wish

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jpparlier/tape-echo-2-mpj[/soundcloud]

Sorry for the off-topic, the soundclip here, and also any in the contest thread, just show as a big white rectangle. Using Chrome for a browser, wasn't an issue when using IE but can't use it anymore on this XP machine, any suggestions? Youtube links show fine.

Rebote 2.5 is another simple option for a delay, i believe it's really close to the Sea Urchin/Deep Blue Sea.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pryde

Not sure Davent as I am using G Chrome as well and I can see/play the soundcloud embed fine (although it could be because I posted it?)

das234

Quote from: zilla on April 30, 2014, 09:05:37 PM
i do want something that sounds good.

Build complexity is not an issue.  I'd even say give me something challenging.

In that case, Multiplex - in a 1590a.

Seriously, Multiplex is great, the Rebote or Sea Urchin are nice but simple.  And then there's the Hamlet+.  Haven't built one yet but it's knocking at my door and I'm sure I'll let it in.