News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sticky Envirotex Cure?

Started by das234, April 29, 2014, 10:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

There is a spot in the middle of my Multiplex where the Envirotex feels sticky.  I think it's the finish itself and not something on it.  Anyone know how to fix that?  Wet sanding with super fine paper maybe?  Or will it just never cure completely?

pickdropper

It really depends.  If there is a section of epoxy that wasn't properly mixed, it may never cure.

If you are certain you mixed it well, it is a more difficult question to answer.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Pull it all off and redo it sadly
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

das234

I did two enclosures, top and sides, and there's only one spot that's sticky.  Everything else is fine so I don't think it was the mix.  I may have put it on too thick in that spot.  ??  I did that with oil/varnish on a Hoosier cabinet I built once.  It never cured so it's still sticky.  Have you guys ever had an issue with laying ET on too thick?

If there's no quick easy cure (and I didn't really expect a simple answer to fix it) I'll probably be content just to let it be.  It's not gooey, it's just a little tacky and it's right between all the knobs so it's not the end of the world. 

pickdropper

A thicker application of epoxy would actually make it cure faster.  Epoxy is exothermic and cures faster at higher heat levels.  With a thicker application, more of the heat is trapped which keeps the epoxy at an elevated temperature, reducing the cure time.

Contamination of some sort maybe?  Otherwise, maybe that was some portion of it that didn't mix well?  How long did you mix it for?  I usually mix it carefully for 2-3 minutes.
Function f(x)

das234

Now that you mention it, I do remember that thicker epoxy cures faster.  Contamination... maybe.  Or maybe the kids were playing with it with sticky fingers!  I suppose it's safe to use some sort of household cleaner to see if it cleans up.  Is there anything that's not safe to use on it??   

pickdropper

I would suspect that there are cleaners that could mess it up, but I don't know of any solvents.  I think the biggest risk would probably be using something that too abrasive.  It could easily scuff up the properly cured surrounding area.  I'd probably just start with isopropyl alcohol.

Depending on how sticky it is, I think your biggest risk is likely that the cloth you are using to wipe it with will leave little sticky, furry bits on it.  Hey, maybe that will look good if you do it right.   :o
Function f(x)

das234

The furr-i-plex?  Maybe I'll try something lint-free and cross my fingers.

juansolo

Gotta be contamination or a dodgy mix. We've had softer flows, but never any that stayed sticky :(

The cure is to re-do it I'm afraid.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

rullywowr

I've had it stay sticky before and I had to pull the top off and start over. I think it's from not measuring exactly equal parts of mix. I now use a scale to ensure I have equal parts. The gooey top came right off for me easily with my fingers though so it wasn't too bad.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

das234

Does it matter that I covered top and sides or would it still pull off easily without wrecking my delicious graphics?

juansolo

It'll come off. Might not leave everything underneath intact though :(
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

rullywowr

Some isopropyl and a olastic scraper will help. You may want to soak the top (turn upside down) in a plate of isopropyl. The decal will be lost anyway you slice it unfortunately.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

PhiloB

I put my against a belt sander for a few seconds to heat it up and it pealed right off.

hoodoo

Have you thought about putting a new thin layer of enviro over it, wouldn't matter if it was sticky underneath a hard top layer, worth a shot.