News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Double Flush: blinking LED mod

Started by jwyse, April 05, 2011, 03:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwyse

I'd like to add an external LED that flashes in time with the pulse setting, regardless of whether the Double Flush is active or bypassed.

The instructions state that the LED already doing exactly what I want.  Is this as simple as wiring another external LED in parallel with the LED in the LED/LDR?  Would I need to make any other changes to compensate for the extra current draw, etc.?

Can I just add another LED/resistor in parallel with the existing LED/resistor, but always connected to ground rather than switched?  Then LED2 will always be pulsing, and LED1 will pulse only when the pedal is activated.  Right?

jkokura

Yes, that could work. You may not even need a second resistor either. It would probably work fine to simply tie your second LED in parallel with the switched one.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

The only drawback is that your "always on" LED might lose brightness when the switch is engaged the way you are proposing.

Is there a reason to have the two pulsing led's? Is it just for effect (nothing wrong with that, of course).?

pauloman80

Quote from: madbean on April 05, 2011, 09:05:16 AM
Is there a reason to have the two pulsing led's? Is it just for effect (nothing wrong with that, of course).?

I was thinking the same thing.  Seems like it'd be a better idea to alter the circuit so the bypass-indicator LED is steady and the rate LED is the only one that pulses.  That's how the Tremulus Lune works.  My local building buddy has been making some modded clones of that box, and the bypass LED doesn't lose any brightness while the rate LED perfectly reflects not only the rate but the waveform as well.  I'll have to get the schematic he's using from him and compare the LED circuits, now that my understanding of circuits is somewhat improved by messing with Eagle a couple night ago.
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

jwyse

Actually, I'd PREFER to only have one always-on/always-pulsing LED, and one solid on/off LED to indicate whether the effect is engaged -- just like madbean and pauloman80 suggested.  If the pulsing LED can also indicate waveform/intensity in the Double Flush, that would be really cool too.

I was just hacking away at the schematic last night and got too tired to follow it through all the way.