News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New supplier. What say you?

Started by jimilee, April 24, 2014, 01:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

http://mklec.com/index.php?route=common/home

I lark speaks highly of these folks. Check it out. Good pricing. Curious of the quality.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Govmnt_Lacky

Looks like an up-and-coming Tayda type place. Slightly higher prices BUT, US based.

Only time will tell.

haveyouseenhim

Lm308s for $1.25.  Count me in. I didn't see any FETs though.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

madbean

Always good to see more US suppliers. But, dang...they need to drop that watermark on every single pic of their products. That is incredibly annoying!

raulduke

Quote from: madbean on April 24, 2014, 02:11:05 PM
Always good to see more US suppliers. But, dang...they need to drop that watermark on every single pic of their products. That is incredibly annoying!

I can never understand watermarking on items like this.

Do you really care if someone uses your photo of some breadboard jumper links  ;D?

mjcyates

QuoteAlways good to see more US suppliers. But, dang...they need to drop that watermark on every single pic of their products. That is incredibly annoying!

Agreed on both points.

midwayfair

Some good stuff I see:

-5% ceramic discs for under 10c each. Unfortunately, only 47pF and 100pF. Sadness.
-Nichicon electrolytic caps, including SHORT 47uF. Cheaper than mouser.
-Trimmer capacitors -- seriously, these are rare for a small supplier. Even Smallbear doesn't carry them. Only really small values, but if they ever have something that's 100pF-470pF, they would be super useful for base-collector bypass caps in something like a Big Muff.
-390nF 50V 5% poly caps for only 15c. Why is this notable? Because they're something like $1 each at Mouser and rare everywhere else.
-LDRs with actual on/off ranges provided. None have great specs, but some are decent.
-Xicon resistors @5c each -- cheaper than Mouser if you only need a few, assuming that they're the real Xicons with the thick leads. Otherwise this is just a strictly worse deal than Tayda. Not enough values, though.
-Interesting aluminum knobs if you're a knurled shaft person.
-Cap kit is a good value
-Storage containers are a good value

Some bad stuff I see:
Multilayer ceramic caps listed under "electrolytic
It looks like they're barely even trying in the pots department
No knobs for smooth shaft pots
Selection in general is very limited
They have stuff like switches, but no navigation to find them. Difficult to find what they actually carry!

peAk

So who's gonna be the guinea pig and order a bunch of stuff to report back?

Leevibe

I agree about the site navigation being crap (at least on iphone) and the watermarks. Holy moly. Still, I say it's a good find and I'll likely give them a try some time. Those nichicons are calling to me.

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on April 24, 2014, 02:35:48 PM

-390nF 50V 5% poly caps for only 15c. Why is this notable? Because they're something like $1 each at Mouser and rare everywhere else.

You can actually get Panasonic 390nF 50v 5% caps from Mouser for 17.5 cents if you buy 10 and 11.8 cents if you buy 100.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Quote from: pickdropper on April 24, 2014, 04:02:31 PM

You can actually get Panasonic 390nF 50v 5% caps from Mouser for 17.5 cents if you buy 10 and 11.8 cents if you buy 100.

Oh, you're right. I just paid 17.5c each for the ones in my last order. I think it took a long time to find the right ones, though.

Haberdasher

i'd be interested to find out if their resistors have thicker leads than the tayda ones.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimilee

I order ordered the resistors, we'll se how it goes.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on April 24, 2014, 06:09:32 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on April 24, 2014, 04:02:31 PM

Oh, you're right. I just paid 17.5c each for the ones in my last order. I think it took a long time to find the right ones, though.

Yeah, I prefer the JL suffix ones because they are bulk and don't have crimped leads (which are a pain with caps).  For most Panasonics, the JL3 and JL5 versions also work well, but are on tape and reel.  I can't remember if either of those have crimped leads.  There are often other JLx suffix variants that work. but one needs to check the specs.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

electrosonic

Just for fun I put $20 worth of parts in the cart - some diodes and 10 ICs total weight 2.1 oz.

Cheapest shipping to Canada was $17.95 - first class (so no tracking number I think)

I do order some things from smallbear, but the US to Canada shipping cost makes things less attractive.

An equivalent package from Tayda would cost less than $5 for shipping and it is sent registered mail.