News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY for the wiiiiin!

Started by Gledison, April 17, 2014, 03:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Bahhh! My washer machine wasnt doing the fast spinning process. After reading some information on forums it seemed that has to do with the door interlocking switch! The damn thing is quite interesting: when the door is closed, the electrons flow through a metal stick that bends with the heating closing the connection sending the info to the pcb that its safe to spin! I opened, and checked the resistances when on and off and everything was as it should! Only a little oxidation on the contacts which i cleaned annnnnnd voil'a! Working like a charm!
My motivation was: Damn it i can build effect pedals, i can repair this crap! Uhuuuuuuu
Im sooo happy! 0 costs and full satisfaction!
Sorry, needed to share with u DIY'ers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

rullywowr

That's funny. I'm fixing my dryer right now. Heats good, motor works but it ate the belt. I just replaced the belt 3 mos ago. Going to do all the pulleys and rollers as well as the belt and see what happens. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

midwayfair

Heh, nice.

I draw the line at DIYing anything that can blow the house up. I am forbidden to get a soldering iron anywhere near the heater, for instance.

gjcamann

When I finally finish building all these pedals on my list I actually want to replace the analog controller board in my boiler with a smart microcontroller board.

My "list" is always growing at a faster rate then I can build them. So the boiler will probably never get it's upgrade - and maybe that's a good thing.

Leevibe

Quote from: Gledison on April 17, 2014, 03:11:35 PM
Bahhh! My washer machine wasnt doing the fast spinning process. After reading some information on forums it seemed that has to do with the door interlocking switch! The damn thing is quite interesting: when the door is closed, the electrons flow through a metal stick that bends with the heating closing the connection sending the info to the pcb that its safe to spin! I opened, and checked the resistances when on and off and everything was as it should! Only a little oxidation on the contacts which i cleaned annnnnnd voil'a! Working like a charm!
My motivation was: Damn it i can build effect pedals, i can repair this crap! Uhuuuuuuu
Im sooo happy! 0 costs and full satisfaction!
Sorry, needed to share with u DIY'ers

Right on! Now that you're poking around higher voltage devices, you may as well build a tube amp!

mjcyates

I think I have done enough repairs on my washer and dryer over the past year to be a qualified Maytag man!

m-Kresol

I had to repair my washing machine too a while back. A plastic piece of the door handle had snapped, so my clothes were "trapped" inside after washing. Had to take the top of and fiddle around with my hand in the guts to open the damn thing from inside. Once I found the source of evil, I got a spare part which i filed to fit and everything's good. Also repaired my vacuum cleaner (a bag had burst unknowingly, the filter clogged and it overheated).
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

slimtriggers

I've had my dryer apart more times than I can remember.  One time it had a sock down in the exhaust port that kept tripping the hi-temp fuse.  Lucky there was a fuse, it could've caused a fire!  I've replaced a belt, replaced the heating element etc. etc.

I remember looking at the control board thinking "I could etch one of these"  ;D

Bret608

Well, I haven't fooled around with a dryer or other large appliance yet, but pedal DIY has definitely built my confidence in home repairs. It's definitely got me used to working on complex stuff in small spaces. Just replaced a faucet cartridge this past weekend!

rullywowr

Quote from: mjcyates on April 17, 2014, 04:07:11 PM
I think I have done enough repairs on my washer and dryer over the past year to be a qualified Maytag man!

I totally agree!  While I was wrenching on the MAYTAG dryer last night, I had a wrench in my hand and one of those Maytag commercials came on the TV with the repair guys doing nothing.  I mumbled "BS!" and went back to the laundry room to work on it.   ;D

gtr2

It's a good thing to reiterate to your significant other.  Hey... see what building pedals helped me do  ;)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

PhiloB

Josh makes a good point.  I was able to repair the dryer last August and really got some points from the wife.  I think we ended up spending $20 for a new part after my multimeter helped me determine the issue:)

DutchMF

This thread has the exact right name........

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Gledison

Nice to see all you brave folks repairing all sort of stuff!
a lazy friend of mine just told me: who da hell repair by himself a washing machine and Why?
i've just said, because I CAN!
Mwaaaa ha ha ha!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

rullywowr

Quote from: Gledison on April 17, 2014, 08:47:44 PM
Nice to see all you brave folks repairing all sort of stuff!
a lazy friend of mine just told me: who da hell repair by himself a washing machine and Why?
i've just said, because I CAN!
Mwaaaa ha ha ha!

Because having dirty clothes and paying lots of money to the repairman is way overrated!  :)