News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD!!!!

Started by jimilee, April 17, 2014, 02:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So I was looking at Strats and it hit that I've always wanted a G&L so I did some research and found that they are an ash body, and that's what I wanted if I was going to build one. So I found this deal for 299 shipped. I need a tremolo arm though if anyone has one. Sounds very warm and plays very well. Translucent blue with a pearloid pickguard. Very pretty to see as well.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Haberdasher

nice, i love translucent blue.  that's what i have on my strat. 8)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jubal81

Nice score! That's a beauty.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

Nice grab. She's a real beaut, Clark.  8)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

raulduke

Nice score jimmy.

I've always liked the look of G+L's.

Don't see em much in the UK unfortunately.

Droogie

Great colors on that one. I have a G&L tele that has become my main gigging axe. Really nice guitars at a good price! Way to go!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

GermanCdn

Nice one Jimi.

You can pick the replacement arms up on their website;  while you're at it, make sure you pick up the set screws for it as well.  That's the only gripe I have with G&L, without the set screws (and you will lose one, they're tiny) the trem is useless.

I am currently debating buying this

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/141257438067?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

For some reason everytime I see it, I think "Jimilee-caster"
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jimilee

Quote from: GermanCdn on April 17, 2014, 03:19:41 PM
Nice one Jimi.

You can pick the replacement arms up on their website;  while you're at it, make sure you pick up the set screws for it as well.  That's the only gripe I have with G&L, without the set screws (and you will lose one, they're tiny) the trem is useless.

I am currently debating buying this

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/141257438067?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

For some reason everytime I see it, I think "Jimilee-caster"
Sweet, but I bet it would be heavy. I have ony seen a handful of robin guitars, are they still around? Thanks for the tip too. I was hoping to find it for less somewhere, but I have in my shopping cart. Won't use it, but I'm ocd that ocd that way.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

bcalla

That's nice, Jimi.  My friend picked up a G&L strat last year (for a lot more than $300) and I really enjoy playing it.  It's a great guitar.

Leevibe

Nice score! I would love to own a G&L too.

GermanCdn

Robin's are hard to find, I don't think they're made (at least in production numbers) anymore.  Every once and a while one pops up on the 'bay, but at a pretty steep price.

I'd imagine it would be too heavy to play - I test drove a 1275 a while back and it was a wheelchair guitar, as in if you played it standing up on a regular basis, you would be in a wheelchair before your hearing went.  Double necks are a novelty to me as I don't own one, but I find that I end up flipping novelty guitars pretty quickly, so there's really no point in buying them anymore.

I don't think there are any after market bars readily available for G&L besides from them; the Wilkinson ones don't fit, Fenders typically aren't push ins, Floyds are usually outside screw.  You could probably hit up a couple of guitar stores and go through their bin of misfit trem arms (everybody has one) and find something that works, but by the time you account for the time and the gas, you've probably spent more than the arm from G&L.  Most G&L parts are pretty specific - you can get replacement ASAT pickups from Rio Grande, you can't get any Z-coil pickups (which are freaking awesome, if you find a good deal on a Comanche Tribute, it's worth it, bangs like a Tele, quacks like a Strat, and no hum) from anywhere but G&L, you can get pickguards custom made from Chandler and maybe from a G&L dealer if they have one in stock, and the G&L branded tuners don't have the same mounting holes as either Sperzel or Schaller.

All that being said, they are killer guitars.  I've got 5 ASATs (three blackguards, a sparkle top hollow, and a Z-3) and two Legacys (a relic and a hollow body quilt top), going to be adding a Comanche and an S-500 in the not too distant future.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jimilee

Cool man. I'll go with G&L for the bar then. I love the way this sounds, much warmer than my strat, but it still has the strat sound. That's what I was after. Hum isn't as bad either. Can't hear it until you go to bridge pickups, and even at that, I'm pretty sure it's the wiring in the house, some days I can't play bass it hums so loud. I could use a ground lift, but I'm too lazy.

GermanCdn

They do sound better than Fenders, yes, and once you play around with the PTB a bit (the tone controls are a Passive Treble and Bass control for all pickups, not two high cuts like on a typical strat), you'll find even more tones you like.  Who'd have thought Gerry Fullerton and Leo Fender would know how to build a proper stratocaster.....

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

HOT TUBES 70

Nice Guitar jimi !!
The G&L boys make some gear ...