News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

another Mangler 2014 question

Started by MADWAGNER, April 16, 2014, 06:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MADWAGNER

Hello,
I have a quick question. I populated and wired up my Mangler. And I noticed I have npn 2n299's. I have the new version with the road rage in the circuit. Do I wire this up the same way as the original Mangler? And do I still flip all of the electro's and diodes in reverse?
I just wanted to make sure so I don't fry nothing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :)
Jeremy

midwayfair

You do not need to use the road rage (or any other polarity reversal) if you are using NPN transistors. The road rage is to convert the +9V of the power supply (from a typical adapter) to -9V for PNP transistors. You DO need to orient all your polarized devices so that the + side is facing the side with the highest voltage.

Let us know which Mangler PCB you're using and we can give further advice.

MADWAGNER

Thanks Jon!
It's the new 2014 version.
That's whats confusing me about it.

Jeremy

midwayfair

Okay. This will convert the Mangler 2014 to a positive supply ("negative ground") for NPN transistors.

Remove the charge pump. If you soldered it, I'm sorry but you'll either have to desolder, clip the legs, or get a set of PNP transistors.

Omit C7 and C8.

Jumper the pads for pins 8 and 5 where the charge pump would have gone. If you don't know which pins are which for the pads, search for the datasheet.

Reverse the orientation of the following:
The status LED (D2)
C2

MADWAGNER

Alright thanks Jon.
I did everything you said. I used a Dip for the ic, so it was easy.
I still have no sound. All of my other electros and diodes are still the same orientation as a NPN build. Do I need to reverse them like I did C2?
Jeremy

Update: I got It working! Thanks again!