News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best delay with PT2399

Started by J. Ignacio, April 15, 2014, 03:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Ignacio

Hi guys, which delay you recommend to build with PT2399?

I made Sea Urchin and Rebote 2.5 and both sound dirty...

Don't like delays with lots of pots.

rullywowr

You should perhaps try the Hamlet by Midwayfair

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jkokura

There are lots of options available these days:

JMK: Modulay; Hamlet+ (lots of pots); Modular Delay with Taptation
1776: Multiplex; Multiplex Jr
Madbean: Cavedweller; Zeropoint DD; Zeropoint SDX; Zeropoint Mini; Zeropoint Micro

And tonnes more.

If the issue is that you don't like the 'dirty' sound of PT2399s, the Modulay from JMK is a good solution. The Cavedweller is not one you would like.

Delays with lots of pots include the Hamlet+, Zeropoint DD and Zeropoint SDX, and the Multiplex. Those are complicated large builds.

If you want tap tempo, the Modular Delay with a Taptation board might be a good issue, but they don't tend to be very clean, and you can get lots of the PT2399 noise in there.

Hope this helps some.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

electrosonic

I am looking too, I built a echo base but didn't find it usable in a band setting.  I gave the pedal to my drummer.

I really like my DM-2, and have read Scott Swartz's paper on trying to duplicate the sound of that with a PT2399.
https://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/pt80techinfo.pdf I would be interested in hearing what people think of his design (PT80 delay)

Andrew

jkokura

If you like the DM-2, which has a relatively short delay time (250-300ms if I recall), than the PT80 could work for you. My main issue with that one is that I didn't really find it gave me enough delay time. I always had the delay pot maxed, and it gets a little noisy there. If you like than 150-200ms type of slap or quick delay, the PT80 would work fine. Companding seems to help with the noise a bit.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

I won't pass any sort of judgment on "best" but ...

Quote from: rullywowr on April 15, 2014, 03:51:21 PM
You should perhaps try the Hamlet by Midwayfair

Thanks for the plug, Ben! :)

The original, non-tap tempo version of the Hamlet only has three external pots (though you could make the "noise" trim external if you really wanted). I'm still pretty partial to that one, and it will be a little different from what you've already built -- brighter for one thing. :)

The PCBs are gone (I only do very limited runs of my PCBs), but there is a perfboard and etch layout in the build doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P7uOYFRH6ZW5eGoquhAiMQMyUU76bod_gNKkiSlPNJM/edit. Haberdasher could probably etch you one.

CultureJam's/Grindcustoms De Profundis Delay also has a tone pot. That one gets VERY dark, but the repeats can also be super quiet at the absolute time limit of a PT2399.

*I don't have a good explanation for the electronic difference, just that they're hooked up a little differently and may affect the repeats differently.

PhiloB

I have the original Hamlet PCB.  I'd be willing to part with it (Want to build the Hamlet+;)

jrod

Quote from: PhiloB on April 15, 2014, 06:50:27 PM
I have the original Hamlet PCB.  I'd be willing to part with it (Want to build the Hamlet+;)

Hey if the OP does not want your Hamlet PCB, I'd be interested in it.

flanagan0718

The Hamlet is amazing! That being said I also like the Cave Dweller, Rebote 2.5, and Echo Base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J. Ignacio