News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Champion Fuzz Unit

Started by raulduke, April 14, 2014, 02:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

Finished this one over the weekend. It's a clone of the old B+M Champion Fuzz Unit (very similar to the Jumbo Tone Bender).

The unit supposedly used by Edwin Collins on the Girl Like You solo (you know the one: da derr da der der derrr, da der da der).

The PCB had been sat built up on the bench for nearly a year (:o) so I thought it was time to finish the b*stard off.

I put it in a massive enclosure with ridiculous knobs because, well, why not.

This thing sounds AMAZING with bass guitar. Unfortunately it also just sounds meh on guitar.

Must be the bigger enclosure letting the bass frequencies breathe or something....  ;D

Tremster

Oh, a great looking well made unit by Raulduke!
:P :P

micromegas

Oversized enclosures are as cool as impractical, well, there are way more cool.

I dig the faceplate layout a lot.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

lincolnic

This looks so great. Any chance of a demo?

raulduke

Thanks guys!

As for a demo, I can try, but there is a load of other stuff I need to record first.

Look up Jumbo Tonebender or B+M Champion fuzz on youtube and you should find plenty of stuff.

Guybrush

Ace build as always!

I built 1776 Effects version of the Jumbo Tonebender and I thought it sounded fantastic. Just out of curiosity, what is it you don't like about it?

raulduke

To my ears it's almost as if there is some clean signal present in the fuzz.

There is less saturation/sustain than a trad muff too.

I think ditching the last gain recovery/buffering stage after the tone control was a strange move from colorsound (not from a financial point of view mind).

It sounds awesome on bass though. I can see why Colorsound ran with it and used the circuit for the Bass Fuzz pedal.

Thomas_H

DIY-PCBs and projects:

nzCdog

Quote...the bigger enclosure letting the bass frequencies breathe....  ;D
Building and now talking, boutique...  ;)
Very tidy work sir 8)

raulduke

I was Joking by the way!

There is no way the enclosure can accentuate bass as there are too many holes in it. The bass Mojo leaks out the holes.

Even mojo padawans like me know that..... :) ;)

peAk

pickdropper

That thing is beautiful.  Dig the aesthetic.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

selfdestroyer

I love your designs. They always look very appealing.

and big boxes for the WIN.

Cody

nzCdog

Quote from: raulduke on April 15, 2014, 09:41:44 PM
There is no way the enclosure can accentuate bass as there are too many holes in it. The bass Mojo leaks out the holes.
Even mojo padawans like me know that..... :) ;)
gold! ;D

jubal81

That's a real gem. Simple and classy. I really dig your style, dude.  8)

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair