News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boteh, the international pedal

Started by diablochris6, April 14, 2014, 04:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

Here is my take on Wampler's Paisley Drive, which is a souped up Tubescreamer. So think about it, an American variation of a Japanese pedal made for a country artist with a last name of a pattern originated from the Middle East. I named it Boteh for the eggplant-looking shapes found in paisley patterns. I made this up in Eagle and OshParked it. Keen eyes will note that it is very similar to the layout of Madbean's Green Bean; I took out the mods that are available on the GB and added the MID and PRESENCE switches. I used a NE5532 for the IC, and pots and switches are pcb mounted. As par with the course, my GAIN pot is wired backwards. I made a couple dumdum mistakes when I put it in the box, but it works. I originally was going to make a slick etch, but the primer and paint covered up the grooves too much to work with, so in my rage I decided to distress the crap out of the paint job before putting on the clear coat...I mean, I decided to artistically represent myself with a worn finish. Yeah, that's it.

Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

midwayfair

This came out really well, though personally I'd go with slightly smaller knobs. :)

Droogie

Nice project!  You'd never know the distressed look wasn't your first choice!
I made one on vero a while backā€”nice screamer variant, and even better with board-mounted everything!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

diablochris6

Thanks. Midway, I just used knobs that I had around. Droogie, it sounds fantastic. As inexpensive as vero can be, I enjoy the ease of pcb-mounted pots and designing the pcbs in Eagle.

Clayford

That's pretty fantastic considering the original if IRRC is in a 125B size enclosure.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bufferz

Is that PCB available for sale somewhere?
affiliations: TFX

diablochris6

I don't have it shared on OsHPark right now. I had to fix the GAIN pot because it was wired backwards for PCB-mounted pots, but I haven't updated the design on OSHPARK. If you want one, I would recommend Chi-boy's site at http://home.comcast.net/~gprause/. He sells the "Pastie Drive" for $9, which I think is the same circuit. I would hate to take away business from someone who has a website devoted to selling the same product when I am making these designs for fun, but if for some reason he doesn't have any in stock or if you REALLY want the design I have, I can make a build guide and share the link with you. PM me if nothing works out with Chi-boy.

GermanCdn

Quote from: diablochris6 on April 24, 2014, 04:22:14 AM
I don't have it shared on OsHPark right now. I had to fix the GAIN pot because it was wired backwards for PCB-mounted pots, but I haven't updated the design on OSHPARK. If you want one, I would recommend Chi-boy's site at http://home.comcast.net/~gprause/. He sells the "Pastie Drive" for $9, which I think is the same circuit. I would hate to take away business from someone who has a website devoted to selling the same product when I am making these designs for fun, but if for some reason he doesn't have any in stock or if you REALLY want the design I have, I can make a build guide and share the link with you. PM me if nothing works out with Chi-boy.

This post is 100% class.  Good on you for promoting George's stuff.

And nice build.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

nzCdog

I really like the look of this pedal, nice job :)

diablochris6

GermanCdn, being classy and having a nice build is how I get the ladies.  8)