News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Something's FSHy!

Started by midwayfair, April 13, 2014, 02:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I has an FSH! :D

I've wanted this effect for a very long time. Brian's board and build notes made it easy. It fired up the first time, but as you can see, there are some extra things going on:

First, I had quite a bit of noise from one of the 3080s. So I made myself a little daughter board to use an LM13700 instead, and this really improved the signal to noise ratio.

Buffered bypass! The little piece of perf is just the two "output" caps, a 1uF for buffered, and 220nF for the main circuit (it's a tiny bit higher than stock, but it doesn't really matter because it passes all frequencies anyway).

I jumpered the 10K at the input to avoid signal loss in bypass, and reduced R4 (to 47K) to get a little above unity (it was just slightly below).

Finally, I lowered the threshold by reducing R15 to 10K, so that it works better with single coils, especially my tele.

I'm super thrilled with the art. No idea where the idea came from, but it made me giggle, so there it is.

alanp

Pretty cool :)

Just one question -- when's the last time you boxed something up and screwed the back on... and the build was stock, no added components, altered values, or reworked circuit sections? ;) :) Always impressed with your abilities in this vein!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

slimtriggers

The color palette and little smiling fish reminds me of Dr. Seuss. 

This is really cool!  8)

pickdropper

Quote from: slimtriggers on April 13, 2014, 03:18:52 AM

This is really cool!  8)

Yep, it reminded me of that as well.

Now, off to read Dr. Seuss!

(great build too, Jon)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

selfdestroyer

Great build Jon. I really love the art on this one and the color scheme is top notch. Its funny, I was scrolling down and expect to see a 1590A.. then BAM.. haha

Cody

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

Very cool indeed Jon! I love the comic art!

Leevibe

Quote from: slimtriggers on April 13, 2014, 03:18:52 AM

This is really cool!  8)

Totally! That's cool

alanp

Huh, I got more of a Far Side vibe to it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

Whoa. Love the colors and whole vibe. Any plans for a demo?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

haveyouseenhim

Hahaha, I love it!   Very clever. I guess we know what happened to nemo.......
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on April 13, 2014, 05:40:54 AM
Huh, I got more of a Far Side vibe to it.

This is indeed more along the lines of what I was thinking, but then the color scheme was really close to The Cat in the Hat, so I ended up doing the title lettering in more of a Suess-y vein.

Quote from: alanp on April 13, 2014, 02:31:44 AMJust one question -- when's the last time you boxed something up and screwed the back on... and the build was stock, no added components, altered values, or reworked circuit sections?

Probably the last time I built a prototype of one of my own circuits ... :D

I'll add this to the demo queue. :)

wgc

"Try that with a laser," he said.

And the village slept contentedly that night, safe in the knowledge that hand lettered and painted stompage was still damn cool.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

nzCdog

Haha wicked build Jon.  Love the cartoon... lookin forward to the demo :D