News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Great Tutorial Picture Thread!

Started by jkokura, April 02, 2011, 02:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Hey guys and gals. In case you hadn't known, there is a great set of tutorials that will be coming in the near future. First up, and only weeks from being finished up, is a simple build tutorial. But after that there will be more installations in the series that will teach some basic skills and give you lots of great tips and ideas.

Anyway, in preparation for this, I need some user participation! I need some pictures of yours to use in the tutorial on labelling your pedals. I really only use one method, but I need a variety, and they're listed below. We're trying to gather at least one of each category, so try and see if you can enter something that hasn't been entered yet, or only has a few entries, because the fewer entries there are, the higher the chance your entry is accepted!

How to enter:
- Create a post below
- First up should be the number and type of labelling you're entering your enclosure for
- Post a picture of your enclosure that you're entering! You can add it as an attachment, or as an embedded picture from a site like imageshack.

Rules:
- The picture must be a demonstration of the LABELLING Technique. I'm sure you'll be proud of your pedals, but the key here is about the Labelling, not the finish or how cool the circuit is.
- The picture must be of a pedal YOU built. Do not post a picture of a pedal that isn't now or once was yours. If you've sold or traded or given it away, that's ok, but it has to be something YOU built.
- The picture cannot be a link to another site. We have to be able to see the picture in this thread.
- You can enter more than once, but create a new post for each entry

Categories:
1. No Labelling
2. Ink or Paint Markers
3. Painting (with brushes)
4. Waterslide Decals
5. Silkscreen
6. Etching
7. Stickers/Label Maker
8. Top Plate (using a plate held on by pots and switches)
9. Laser/tool Engraving
10. Ink Stamping

IF you have a method not listed above, PM me about it ahead of time, and if I deem it acceptable, then I'll add it to this list, and allow you. Thanks a lot guys! Hope to see some great entries soon.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

Catagory 4 Waterslide:

Just slid this on tonight.  Waiting for it to dry...  I'm not sure if I was to post here or not.  If not delete me  ;)  I've got a little work to make it perfect, but it needs to dry first.  Are we to post our process?  I've got some pics I took through the process as well.

Josh

amphitrite-water by j996
aqua-jacks by j996

amphitrite1 by j996,

amphitrite3 by j996,
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

Great post Josh! Keep updating it rather than starting a new post, finished pedals are better than unfinished ones! But boy, that decal looks spectacular! This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm hoping for. Great font by the way, can you share what it is?

I was expecting a few more posts by now. People of the Madbean forum - Show me your labelling techniques!

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

revmayer

Category 2: Paint Marker

My wife was not a huge fan of time I was spending on my new found hobby.  As a peace offering, I asked if she would like to paint one of the pedals.  I did the base coat with spray paint and gave her a couple of paint markers.  This is what she came up with.  I thought she did a good job.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-Joey-

Fastocker

I guess these would fall under the sticker catagory.  Just found some cool adhesive graphics inkjet paper from Papilio --- metallic gold, chrome silver and holographic.  This stuff is a bit tough to photograph properly but looks very cool in person, especially the holographic paper.  Left to right is gold, silver-chrome and holographic.

I printed this top graphic on holographic paper, let it dry thoroughly (at least a day), applied it and then powdercoated clear over the whole box.  Anything other than black flip flops in different lighting:

Here's a finished pedal using the gold paper:

With this paper you can apply it to any color background and the text will still pop nicely.

Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe

Fastocker

Here's another that's a hybrid of paint markers and waterslide decals . . . and a P.I.T.A. to do!  Since I don't have an ALPS printer but still wanted to do gold lettering on a darker background, I printed the graphic with hollow letters onto waterslide decal paper using an inkjet printer.  Once it dried, I cut out the decal and applied it backwards to another used sheet of decal backing paper.  I dabbed it well and let that dry overnight, then carefully filled in the hollow letters with a gold paint pen --- make sure to use paint pens as the gel type will run in water.  Once the paint dried I applied the decal as normal and clear powdercoated the box to seal everything in.

Owner of Unique-Vibe, LLC
www.facebook.com/uniquevibe

night-B

I really dig the holographic sticker  :o

sgmezei

Category 7: Stickers

Sparkly stickers outlined with gel pen. Knobs are just gel pen.

sgmezei

sgmezei

Category 2: Ink/pen markers

jkokura

Great stuff guys! I'm going to have a hard time picking for some of these catagories - I might have to make allowances for an extra gallery... Keep them coming, and don't be afraid to post more. Remember there are lots of catagories too!

Quote from: revmayer on April 05, 2011, 03:16:28 AM
Category 2: Paint Marker

Hey Reverend Mayer... If you don't mind maybe editing your post so that there's only one entry, and then making a second post to add your second? I realize this might be a little silly, but I really would like it if each post only contain one entry. You can enter as many pedals as you'd like, but it makes my life a LOT easier to be able to sort all of these if there's only one entry per post.

Thanks, and this is a good heads up for everyone! Please remember to include a heading with the number and title of the method you are entering a pedal for, and include just one pedal entry per post.

Great, great stuff happening here guys! Keep them coming! I've gotten some PM's, and I know there's going to be some super spectacular examples coming in soon!

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

revmayer

The base coat on the trem was again spray paint.  For the labeling I used transparent laser jet sticker paper with some layers of clear coat over top.  I did the design in photoshop, with an overhead photo of the enclosure as a reference point.  

-Joey-

bigmufffuzzwizz

These all look soo amazing! I really like Josh's waterslide(the first one). That's the type of stuff I wanna do.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

revmayer

Category 7: Sticker

AMZ Mini Booster in an unfinished 1590B with a inkjet label sticker.  The design was done in photo shop with an overhead shot of the drilled enclosure as a reference.  I finished it off with a few coats of clear coat.

-Joey-

revmayer

Category 3: Painting (with brushes)

A SHO in a PPP 1290 blem enclosure.  The lettering was done with a brush.  I taped off the pentagon and used a brush to fill it in.  I has gotten pretty beat up on my board.

-Joey-