News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Digitech Whammy True Bypass

Started by zapme, April 10, 2014, 10:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapme

I'm trying to convert my whammy to true bypass switching....the bypass is horrible.

http://www.rodrigoconstanzo.com/whammy-mod/

I followed this guide but i am loosing signal some how.  I can setup a dirty amp and plug directly into the amp and have great gain then i plug into the pedal and loose probably around 30% gain.  I used my multimeter to check that the traces have been completely cut and that is not the issue.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jkokura

Have you ensured both of your cables are working correctly? Perhaps one of your patch cables has an issue.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

rullywowr

Jacob has a good point. In addition, It's possible to damage a 3pdt by over heating it when soldering. Try bypassing it hardwired and see if the low sound still develops.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

zapme

Yup ive tried numerous guitar cables and two switches....i think im going to have to cut more traces on the input and output jacks.  They are trs.  I can plug a cable into the pedal and use a multimeter connected to the tip of the cable and touch the ground connector and it has common signal between all 6 connection points on both input and output jacks.  I don't get it.  I might just have to suffer with it or add an external true bypass looper on my board which sucks because that pedal already is stealing a lot of room.

jimilee

Well step 6 and 7 say to cut the input and output traces.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

zapme

i followed the instruction exactly cutting those traces. 

rullywowr

Quote from: zapme on April 11, 2014, 03:29:51 AM
i followed the instruction exactly cutting those traces.

Did you check for continuity with a dmm after cutting?

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

zapme

yup i checked the cuts....im wondering if there is a resistor or cap leaking some clean signal to ground somehow but i can't find a schematic anywhere.