News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Low Current LEDs (and power saving)

Started by rullywowr, April 10, 2014, 05:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Just curious if any of you use/used to use/swear by/dislike "Low Current LEDs?"  Mostly for LED indicators in pedals.  Also wondering if they may "sound" different to your ears when used in a clipping circuit?  The ones I came across here have a fV of about 1.9v.

These are about 0.20c a pop at Mouser and draw 2mA.  2mcd brightness (typ).
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay/TLLR4401/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhWRCNY2UVIVjQcNqusW51tP1yt1W7WiKc%3d

The bulk of vanilla LEDs I have come across in the past consume somewhere around 20mA.  My focus of the week is reducing power consumption with various methods and just stumbled across these.  It's not a huge deal when running off an adapter but I have been working on reducing power usage for battery powered circuits.  These may have their place...

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

midwayfair

That's neat. How do they compare in brightness? In the real world, not on a datasheet.

davent

I just use regular high brightness LED's, dare i say Tayda's, and they usually only require much less then 1ma to be bright enough for me, so 10k-18k for a current limiting resistor...  have some greens that were fine with ~50k. I only use led's for visual reference. I visually test each led for it's needed CLR.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

rullywowr

Quote from: midwayfair on April 10, 2014, 05:52:46 PM
That's neat. How do they compare in brightness? In the real world, not on a datasheet.

That's what I was wondering!   :D

Quote from: davent on April 10, 2014, 05:56:13 PM
I just use regular high brightness LED's, dare i say Tayda's, and they usually only require much less then 1ma to be bright enough for me, so 10k-18k for a current limiting resistor...  have some greens that were fine with ~50k. I only use led's for visual reference. I visually test each led for it's needed CLR.

dave

That's good info Dave.  I always find myself taming the brightness of LEDs.  I wonder the difference between the "low current" and using "high brightness" with a larger CLR?  Also wondering how the low current versions sound in led clipping circuits like the Boneyard/Plexitone/Plexidrive etc...  Perhaps there is no difference, but only one way to find out!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

davent

Mark Hammer's idea for an LED tester, switch puts another 10k resistor in series so 24 steps, pretty much covers them all.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?