News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Recommendations Signal Generator For Testing

Started by upthepunxxx, April 09, 2014, 07:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upthepunxxx

Que Tal Vatos!

So I usually use a simple audio probe I built with a capacitor, instrument cable, and alligator clip to trouble shoot builds. This works fine, however I am always testing by myself and it gets rather annoying reaching down and strumming my guitar before I start probing. I was looking up signal generators and found the Tiny Tester on JMK PCBs site. It looks pretty cool and basic enough for what I need. I also saw the Testing Rig which incorporates the headphone amp circuit, but what I thought was really cool was all the switching options. Switching between a guitar signal and tone, switching between headphone and amp, and being able to bypass the circuit to reference your original signal (I really hope I understood that correctly?). I also saw on Small Bear a signal generator that comes with all the components and is a lot more basic. Out of pure laziness, I was considering that as an option. However, as I write this I feel like I am leaning towards the full on testing rig from JMK. I'm still pretty new to the forum, but I did noticed that JMK has a section on here, so I figured you guys would probably know best. I didn't want to post this in that section since I mentioned Small Bear, but thats probably just me over thinking things as usual... If any of you homeboys have used any of the above mentioned projects, please let me know what you think!

xoxoxo,
upthepunxxx
Wake up and smell the noise!!

icecycle66

ddog

I use a ditto looper, record a chord progression and then let it endlessly loop. Make sure not to record your favourite chord progressions as you'll start hating them after your debugging sessions

jkokura

The testing rig is designed to be exactly what you're describing you need. It's a super helpful tool for testing and debugging. If you have any questions, you can ask me directly if you'd like.

The tiny tester is a simpler device, and is only useful for generating a straight tone. You can build one into a testing rig however, and that may be helpful.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

My recommendation would be to build the test rig, as it's an all in one and it keeps the clutter down on the build desk.  That being said, the Ditto method works well as well, but it means daisy chaining your power, adding another cable on the build desk, etc, etc, which you might find is a bit of a pain depending on how much room you have to work with.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

upthepunxxx

Quote from: GermanCdn on April 09, 2014, 09:52:30 PM
My recommendation would be to build the test rig, as it's an all in one and it keeps the clutter down on the build desk.  That being said, the Ditto method works well as well, but it means daisy chaining your power, adding another cable on the build desk, etc, etc, which you might find is a bit of a pain depending on how much room you have to work with.

Yea thats a good point. I have a boss rc-2, but you are right, it will mean a bit more clutter. And I don't know about you guys, but I have limited space, and I have this weird, call it OCD or whatever, but when its messy around me I just can't do quality work. IDK. I'm gonna try the loooper option until I get the Test Rig up and running.

upthepunxxx

Quote from: ddog on April 09, 2014, 08:34:21 PM
I use a ditto looper, record a chord progression and then let it endlessly loop. Make sure not to record your favourite chord progressions as you'll start hating them after your debugging sessions

thanks for the tip! I'm gonna use my Boss RC-2 in the meantime.

rullywowr

Right on, I use my boss rc3 for this as well.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

upthepunxxx

Quote from: jkokura on April 09, 2014, 09:43:45 PM
The testing rig is designed to be exactly what you're describing you need. It's a super helpful tool for testing and debugging. If you have any questions, you can ask me directly if you'd like.

The tiny tester is a simpler device, and is only useful for generating a straight tone. You can build one into a testing rig however, and that may be helpful.

Jacob

I'm glad I was interpreting the explanation correctly. Thank you for confirming. I think its settled, I am going to order your Testing Rig, its exactly what I am looking for. I appreciate the offer of help also, thats super cool. Because you know I was thinking, how exactly do you debug a build of something you are going to use to debug..? MIND BLOWN!! Its like trying to wrap your head around infinity? Well pretty much the same thing. Anyways, thanks man! I'm gonna order that up shortly. Might check out the Scuba Muff too, its looks pretty rad! Actually everything does!

jimilee

I got an app called oscillator with different wave forms for my iPhone.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website