News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

boost always on in the weener 2 not recommended. why?

Started by pietro_moog, April 09, 2014, 02:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pietro_moog

hi guys. i'm re-building my way, and i feel i need a buffer/boost on the output because i feel a slight volume loss when the effect is on. the best solution would be a foxrox buffer like, but i don't have much space so i'd rather go with a fet transistor arrangement. i saw that the werner 2 has a similar booster, but madbean suggests not to wire it always on. why is that? is there something wrong with the boost after? like a big change in the tone of the wah?
anyway, i'm open to other small circuits. so make some suggestions! thanks

Clayford

Well I'll ask have you adjusted the gain of the Weener? The trimmer gives a very large range of adjustment, and the 100R is there to stop you from getting into a distorted wah. My weener is plenty loud enough without the boost.

Or are you building your own wah? Going off the bog standard crybaby schamatic, the emitter resistor of Q2 (Usually a 390R) is the key to your output volume. Try a 330R as an exceptionally popular modified choice.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

pietro_moog

actually i'm building my own way on a vero board now. i couldn't find a stable way to attach my weener 1 to the shell. 330Ω at q1? i'll try that, thanks, but i thought that makes it gainer, not louder..

Clayford

Yes it's "gain" but it will affect the overall volume. If you're The weener wah I schematic then yes it's Q1 emitter resistor. I"m not sure why you couldn't mount it, Brian gives fairly clear instructions on how to mount it.

Quote from: MadbeanThere are three mounting holes on the PCB. There is one round and one slotted hole in the middle 
area of the board. These will fit through the long screw bodies that poke through on some shells. 
There is one other round hole on the top right, and this is where you can actually attach the Weener  PCB with a screw. Note that there are a variety of shells out there, and not all are standardized so 
there may be some variance in screw or hole placement. I measured the mounting holes using two 
older Crybaby shells, so it should cover most needs.

Regardless to answer your original question... Brian advises against the original boost because of:

Well I can't speak for Brian, but here's why I wouldn't.
It will be affected differently based on the input it gets, and will affect various output pedals differently. If you build an external volume control for the boost, you could resolve that issue. It would also always make your wah louder than bypass mode.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

snz728

you can play with the value of R2 to get more volume