News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Guitar doo-dads, snake oil and otherwise

Started by Leevibe, April 08, 2014, 03:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Leevibe

Yes! I saw those a while back and thought about getting one to play around with but I don't like that it's a semi-permanent installation. I have exactly one guitar in my acoustic collection.

peAk

Also, this goes without saying but I haven't seen it mentioned yet....

Ebows are rad

Willybomb

Snark tuners are cheap and work awesome!

Mine doesn't work on the "vib" setting that well anymore.  "Mic" works fine though, but I currently use the tiny little dimarzio one.

billstein

Shubb Capo
G7 Capo
Planet waves humidifier for the Martin
D'addario strings - 10 high E for the electrics
D'addario EXP11 for acoustic

I used to think White Fender heavy picks. A few years back when I couldn't find them and had to buy the Fender Heavy multicolor I seriously wondered if I could play with those things. I know it's ridiculous but I hadn't used anything else but white for so many years. It turned out to be a mental thing, I played just as bad with the multicolored.

billstein

Quote from: bcalla on April 08, 2014, 06:05:39 PM
Quote from: GermanCdn on April 08, 2014, 03:56:01 PM
Planet waves guitar humidifiers - in all my acoustic cases.  Inevitably causes a little rust on the strings, but that's a pile better than splitting a top.

I switched over to the Planet Waves Humidipak system.  It is supposed to work to both add / remove humidity depending on what's needed.  And I found out it is possible to reuse the inserts.  I now have one in every guitar case - acoustic and electric.

How do you reuse the inserts. My only complaint is how expensive this system can be when using it in a couple of cases.

bcalla

Quote from: billstein on April 11, 2014, 04:28:19 AM

Quote from: bcalla on April 08, 2014, 06:05:39 PM
Quote from: GermanCdn on April 08, 2014, 03:56:01 PM
Planet waves guitar humidifiers - in all my acoustic cases.  Inevitably causes a little rust on the strings, but that's a pile better than splitting a top.

I switched over to the Planet Waves Humidipak system.  It is supposed to work to both add / remove humidity depending on what's needed.  And I found out it is possible to reuse the inserts.  I now have one in every guitar case - acoustic and electric.

How do you reuse the inserts. My only complaint is how expensive this system can be when using it in a couple of cases.
My friend Al called Planet Waves to ask questions about this system, and the employee who took his call told him how to do it.

Once the packets become solid (which is supposed to indicate that they should be discarded), they need to be exposed to water / humidity.  I use a medium sized plastic covered container like you would use to store leftover food.  Put the solid packets inside that next to an uncovered container of water.  Snap the cover on the medium container and store it until the next packets become solid.  Your stored packets are now good to use and the solid ones go into the container to be recycled.  Al has been doing this for a little more than a year and it works great.

Also note that you can get the refills for as little as $10.50 for a 3-pack (which covers one guitar).

gordo

I use the Big Bends Nut Sauce.  Not an awful lot better than pencil lead but I laugh everytime I read the label.  My secret weapon is the Gorgomyte cloth that Stewart McDonald sells.  Only need a square inch of it per fingerboard so it lasts quite a while.  It's a pretty vigorous workout but my boards have never looked so good and the frets feel like velvet.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Leevibe

Gorgomyte cloth? That sounds cool, like something one would wear underneath Mithril. I want some!

jubal81

About $15 and a couple of hours with shielding tape is a huge improvement.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Clayford

Quote from: gordo on April 12, 2014, 03:45:51 AM
[...]  My secret weapon is the Gorgomyte cloth that Stewart McDonald sells.  Only need a square inch of it per fingerboard so it lasts quite a while.  It's a pretty vigorous workout but my boards have never looked so good and the frets feel like velvet.

JJ lives around here. He's an aweome cat. He's a freaking great tech too. Highly sought after. I met him by chance at a pizza joint.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

slimtriggers

Jazz III picks.  Once you get accustomed to these, everything else feels like trying to play guitar with a big Dorito.

gordo

Quote from: Clayford on April 12, 2014, 06:59:09 AM
JJ lives around here. He's an aweome cat. He's a freaking great tech too. Highly sought after. I met him by chance at a pizza joint.

I dunno what the stuff is but it works like a charm and it's pretty nasty how much crud you get off the frets and the board.  Hope he's making decent money from the stuff.  I use it about every 3rd or 4th string change and you don't have to worry about hydrating the fingerboard.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Clayford

Quote from: gordo on April 13, 2014, 09:37:20 PM
Quote from: Clayford on April 12, 2014, 06:59:09 AM

I dunno what the stuff is but it works like a charm and it's pretty nasty how much crud you get off the frets and the board.  Hope he's making decent money from the stuff.  I use it about every 3rd or 4th string change and you don't have to worry about hydrating the fingerboard.

FU-tone and StewMac are selling them, and I know for a FACT that 2 dozen went out for the last EVH tour.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded