News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Photography

Started by alanp, April 06, 2014, 03:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

One of the unexpected areas where I've had to up my game with this pedal lark is the art of taking photographs. Just going point and shoot, roll the dice, gets annoying, so you have to pick up one or two things.

Number one thing I've found, is lighting. Bad lighting == bad photograph. Either only photograph on good sunny days, or buy a high quality, high intensity lamp.

Number two, don't take just one photo. Take several from different angles. You can audit them all later on on the computer, and use the best one, rather than settling for the one slightly blurry shot.

Number three, you want to get as close as you can. BUT. If you get too close, then the camera's focus begins to get bad (for SMD photography, I normally put the camera down on the table, prop the board up in front of it. and carefully only touch the button, nothing else. The camera shaking even slightly will blur the photo at that range.)

What are some tips you guys have?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Quote from: alanp on April 06, 2014, 03:48:16 AM
One of the unexpected areas where I've had to up my game with this pedal lark is the art of taking photographs. Just going point and shoot, roll the dice, gets annoying, so you have to pick up one or two things.

Number one thing I've found, is lighting. Bad lighting == bad photograph. Either only photograph on good sunny days, or buy a high quality, high intensity lamp.

Number two, don't take just one photo. Take several from different angles. You can audit them all later on on the computer, and use the best one, rather than settling for the one slightly blurry shot.

Number three, you want to get as close as you can. BUT. If you get too close, then the camera's focus begins to get bad (for SMD photography, I normally put the camera down on the table, prop the board up in front of it. and carefully only touch the button, nothing else. The camera shaking even slightly will blur the photo at that range.)

What are some tips you guys have?
In another life I was a photographer and have been for the better part of my 42 years. That being said, I use my iPhone and edit in photoshop. I like to go out side and use natural lighting in the shade. Sometimes it helps to back off with a flash and them crop it in photoshop.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

I turn all the lights off in the room except the workbench light with it's articulated arm and a daylight CFL bulb. I frame the shot then move the light around to get the effect i want then shoot, usually means the light is barely outside the frame inches away from the lens.

Yeah and shoot lots and lots, experiment... the films cheap.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

culturejam

Quote from: alanp on April 06, 2014, 03:48:16 AM
Number one thing I've found, is lighting. Bad lighting == bad photograph.

This is a very perceptive observation. Frankly, the way it works is this: photography = the manipulation of light. Light is all there is. It's the whole shebang.

Quote from: alanpNumber two, don't take just one photo.

Yep. It's a numbers game. Even after many years' worth of experience, there's no such thing as nailing the "perfect" shot on the first go. Granted, you might actually end up getting the best shot on the first try, but you won't know that until you review them all. And the best way to make sure you get a really good shot is to shoot a LOT of frames (<< that's the old man term) on every composition. I personally subscribe to the 10% rule, which, simply put, is that shoot at least 10x as many frames as you plan/need to have usable photographs. So if you need 5 really good photos of one thing, shoot *at least* 50 photos of that thing. Usually I do be better than 10%, but if I'm out of my usual comfort zone, it might be as low as 5%. Digital format really takes away any obstacles. So just shoot you brains out.  ;D

Quote from: alanpNumber three, you want to get as close as you can. BUT. If you get too close, then the camera's focus begins to get bad

Yep. Each lens has a "minimum focusing distance". Generally, the wider of angle the lens is, the closer it can be to the subject and still focus. And vice versa. Lots of point-and-shoot cameras also have macro focus mode that allows very close focusing. SLRs have dedicated lenses for macro focusing.

As far as jitter is concerned, get a cheap tripod and use the self timer function. ;)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

chromesphere

I know you didn't ask specifically Alan but I find a tripod is essential for taking a steady clear shot.  I would go with outdoor lighting as well, I find these the best looking photos that I've taken so far.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Leevibe

Lots of cool diy light diffuser ideas floating around on the webz. I even saw one where someone used a thin white cutting board as a diffuser.

I think it would be cool to build some kind of light tent that I could fit to my magnifier lamp.

derevaun

Window light's great if you can arrange it--gives a solid 3D look compared to flat lighting from a flash.

In any case, the more light you can get, the faster the shutter, so less blur from camera shake. Outdoor light is always going to be brighter than indoor room lighting.

If there's more than one light source, it's good to white balance if your camera has that affordance.

I like to use a white background (a wide roll of paper) and overexpose by 1/3 to a whole stop.

billstein

I think one of the mistakes new photographers make is over exposing with the flash. If the camera has an adjustable flash use it, and turn it down. Better yet if you can use an external flash attached to the hot shoe , bounce the flash off the ceiling or off a wall to soften it up. I find I have to turn my flash down use a diffuser, and bounce it to get the lighting I want.
Even after all that sometimes Photoshop is necessary for color correction.

juansolo

Personally: Light tent. Cost me a tenner delivered, and a fluorescent desk lamp. I also have a nice enough camera (Nikon D40), but I only use the cheapy lens that came with it for pedals*

*I have a posh lens for outdoor stuff that cost 3x what the camera did. I really should talk to a camera person about a posh one for this sort of thing... The big lens kicks the crap out of the cheapy in terms of image quality, but is a little large for pedals/indoor.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

sonarchotic

My wife just built a light box out of an old Styrofoam cooler, wax paper, construction paper and some chicken lights/spot light. I was about ready to throw in the towel on our camera and now I'm thrilled with the results she's getting from it. I think she found a diy light box tutorial on Etsy.

wgc

Yeah, this is great info. All my gut shots are a bit jittery and I was thinking I should get a tripod. More school of hard Knox comments:

Flash, at least direct, tends to wash things out. Indirect natural light or light box if you have it, is best.

Try not to get closer than your lense can focus. I made that mistake a bunch of times... Instead, back off a little and crop out of camera.

Also, depth of field is important. If you get it working for you it can really make an image great.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Rockhorst

Use a remote shutter and a tripod.

pryde

Best shots for me are pedal on the kitchen table in natural light only, Canon Elph (old 2 megapixel) on macro setting. Get clear, close shots every time.

I really would like to learn a lot more about photography as I see some great photos on here, especially those high contrast grainy looking ones people do. Cool stuff.

tunatuk

Another tip I picked up if you're shooting from a tripod and worried about camera blur, use the timer. Some timers can be set to only a second or two, and this gives the camera time to settle from pressing the button.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk