News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The psychology of box

Started by jubal81, April 05, 2014, 06:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

I was rocking out with my new Duplex build for a few hours today and just having a blast, but it's got me thinking.
How much am I, as a builder, influenced by the aesthetics of a pedal I've made myself?

The Duplex is a rare instance where I never heard it before I'd boxed it up - and spent a couple days sanding, etching, painting and clear coating. I really like a lot of ODs/Fuzzes that never make it to a box, even ones I honeymoon over for a while. And here, when my first impression comes with a neato box I'd worked really hard on, I've got maybe my favorite Muff variant ever and an opamp OD that I like as much as my favorite JFET ODs, which is pretty crazy.

No doubt these are a pair of highly-regarded effects, but I can't help but wonder how much I'm susceptible to "pretty box syndrome" even though I know what's what inside these things.

TL;DR: I think maybe I'm not as objective about circuits as I thought I was because - pretty box.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jkokura

Aesthetic appeal is a bonafide factor in appreciating things. Distinguishing between most overdrive pedals in a mix is almost impossible, but I play with the ones I like the best and the way they look has an impact on the way I feel about them and that has an impact on the way I play - thus, I play better and SOUND better because of the appearance of my overdrives.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pryde

Aesthetics are an interesting thing with pedals.

Recently I spent hours and hours working with a guy on a pedal design who was nauseously picky about how the pedal looks and not once asked how it actually might sound  ::)

I enjoy a nice looking pedal but try not to spend to much time these days on the looks

Leevibe

Quote from: jkokura on April 05, 2014, 06:17:21 PM
Aesthetic appeal is a bonafide factor in appreciating things. Distinguishing between most overdrive pedals in a mix is almost impossible, but I play with the ones I like the best and the way they look has an impact on the way I feel about them and that has an impact on the way I play - thus, I play better and SOUND better because of the appearance of my overdrives.

Jacob

+1

juansolo

I know I sell the pedals that I do sell based on how they look. The Hashishian is proof of that, I have never had more interest in a pedal... Especially one that doesn't do what the decal might infer. It's weird. I like them to look good, but I've never kept an effect I didn't like because I really liked the box it was in.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

midwayfair

If I particularly like how something sounds, I often spend more time on the box.

juansolo

Quote from: midwayfair on April 05, 2014, 07:01:15 PM
If I particularly like how something sounds, I often spend more time on the box.

That I am guilty of. Some effects just get something slapped on there. Some effects I make sure I get just right.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

peAk

gordo

It's the same principle as a newly washed car always seems to drive better than a dirty one...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jubal81

Quote from: midwayfair on April 05, 2014, 07:01:15 PM

Yeah, that's my usual MO. This is the first time I've ever gone full-out on a box for an effect I've never heard and I'm really sure why.
Since the first post I went back and did some more A/Bing with other muffs & overdrives and I think the love of the sound is plenty justified. I'm just going to chalk this one up to builder's intuition.

BTW, Jon, I think you'd dig the G2. It's got more of a vintage fuzz sound than what you get from a Muff, and it's a LOT quieter to boot.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jubal81

Quote from: gordo on April 05, 2014, 08:30:28 PM
It's the same principle as a newly washed car always seems to drive better than a dirty one...

Now that's a spot-on analogy.
- David Fair

GrindCustoms

Quote from: jubal81 on April 05, 2014, 08:33:45 PM
Quote from: gordo on April 05, 2014, 08:30:28 PM

Now that's a spot-on analogy.

+1

I'm not into etching, fancy decals and all that but when i build a pedal on wich i spent 2 gallons of elbow grease to get it where i want, it sure appeals a lot more to me.

But strangely some of my best sounding pedals or those on board are plain black, i don't put much effort in the finish of pedals that i consider as personnal built, simple reason being that they are always coming in and out, passing them to folks who wants to try them and then get one built.... and that's where i will put a bigger effort in finishing the pedal so it looks good as it sounds (to my criteria of course).
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Govmnt_Lacky

This has been my thought....

Design it for the SOUND!
Box it for the SALE!

I have never been one for the esthetics. I have always been more about how it sounds first and foremost however, there is no denying that MOST pedals sell successfully based on their esthetics.

The only thing that can overcome esthetics when it comes to sales is maybe HYPE. Hello...... KLON anyone?   ::)

rullywowr

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 05, 2014, 08:47:44 PM
This has been my thought....

Design it for the SOUND!
Box it for the SALE!

+1000
:)
If it doesn't sound good, why put all that effort into the enclosure?  For me, building the guts is much more enjoyable than finishing the enclosure.  I do appreciate a nice enclosure but if the sound isn't there...well, you know.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

culturejam

Back when I first started building pedals, I used to design the box first and then pray that what I had soldered together actually worked.  ;D

These days, I only box up stuff that I really like the sound of, so the looks of the finished product don't really factor in to my liking of the tone.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects