News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Patch Cables and Power Supplies

Started by peAk, April 03, 2014, 12:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Goind to build a pedal board and wanted some suggestions on either DIY stuff or power supplies and patch cables for good prices.

Quality doesn't have to be great because I won't be gigging with it.

Willybomb

Clayford

Quote from: Willybomb on April 03, 2014, 01:00:35 PM
Gorm shelf, velcro, 1spot.  Done.
So far that's gig worthy.
These cables are a decent value. I haven't had any problems but they're not as study as these for an extra $1. GC does NOT carry these in store. They have something very similar at 2x the price. Order them and wait. I might suggest trimming the shrink wrap back a little bit for some extra flexibility.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Leevibe

I started off with all cheapie patch cables but I discovered that I got what I paid for in reliability and audio quality. Tone suckage is cumulative. Having said that, sometimes we just want to get 'er done. I get it. But, if you change your mind and decide to build up some good cables, I recommend George L's .155 cable. It's low capacitance, great quality, and small so it keeps your board tidy. If you pair it with some good Switchcraft or G&H plugs (I'm not a fan of solderless) you will preserve your signal and your patch cables will last forever. I love the Switchcraft pancake plugs. They ain't cheap though. You can get knockoffs for really cheap that are even lower profile but I don't know about the quality or resistance.

Vallhagen

As i just finnished my own board I found - and highly recommend - these patch cables from EBS:
http://store.thesegoto11.se/product_info.php?products_id=3277
(the link is to a store in stockholm, sweden. You can prolly find them closer)

They come in different lengths and requires just an impressingly small space on your pedal board. And i dont find them expensive at all.

Cheers!
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

flanagan0718

A while back (like 3 years ago) i made my first pedal board. I went to the local music store and bought a rectangular bass guitar case, one of the wooden ones. I got it home and gutted it. Then I cut 1/3 of the case off, removed the latch hardware and removed the very end of it. I then screwed the end back on to the 2/3 s left and wood glued it in place. While letting that dry I got a 1/2 inch piece of plywood cut it to size and carpeted it. I then mounted it to the now 2/3 s sized bass case. I also ordered some split hinges form an online store so I could remove the top while gigging. I put some nice metal amp corners on it and BLAMO, I had nice large inexpensive ( bass case $15, hardware $10, wood $5) one of a kind pedal board/hard case. this is what it looked like.

Leevibe

flanagan0718

Quote from: Leevibe on April 03, 2014, 02:06:24 PM
That is really cool Mike!!

Thanks, it was fun to do! I think i still have the SKB latches kicking around somewhere.

RobA

Quote from: Willybomb on April 03, 2014, 01:00:35 PM
Gorm shelf, velcro, 1spot.  Done.
Between the Gorm pedalboard and the Lack rack, I see I'm going to have to spend a day poking through all the aisles at Ikea in search of "music" hardware.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

peAk

Great suggestions guys

Just to be a little clear in what I am wanting, I will not use this for gigging and it won't ever see travel. I basically want it for home recording. I may try to incorporate it into a patchbay. I wanted to see some different options for buying and/or building cables as well as power supplies. Even if I go with a patchbay, I will still need these items.

Leevibe

Quote from: peAk on April 03, 2014, 03:24:08 PM
Great suggestions guys

Just to be a little clear in what I am wanting, I will not use this for gigging and it won't ever see travel. I basically want it for home recording. I may try to incorporate it into a patchbay. I wanted to see some different options for buying and/or building cables as well as power supplies. Even if I go with a patchbay, I will still need these items.

Recording is all the more reason to use good quality patch cables imo. 1 spot is great to power more pedals than you can fit on a board. If you have the DIY bug, build RG's Spyder using this transformer. I built one and it works great.

Clayford

Forum Member aballen also has an option for a DIY supply availible on OSH. You might have to PM him for the partslist.
http://oshpark.com/profiles/aballen

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

jimilee

Just built 2 gorm shelf boards myself. There are some great YouTube videos that will give you some great ideas. Mine is just for kicking around the house too, although one day is like to play rhythm guitar in a band!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

peAk

Quote from: Leevibe on April 03, 2014, 03:31:11 PM
Recording is all the more reason to use good quality patch cables imo.

Agree, I just meant quality as in I don't need heavy duty ones that will see a lot of action.

flanagan0718

I have a vero layout of a power supply. I put 18v in. it handles it nicely.

Edit:
C1-4: 220uF (voltage rating varied based on input supply)
C5-8: 47uF
Q1-4: LM7809
4 trace cuts under the regulators