News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is there a diagram for this?

Started by jimilee, March 31, 2014, 06:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Before I reinvent the wheel, I wanted to ask. I'm building a 4 in 1 pedal and today I decided I wanted to include an effects loop via an external send and return activated with a switch or stomp. Before I reinvent the wheel, is there a diagram somewhere already?i've been running the logistics through my head, and I don't think it will be complicated.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GrindCustoms

It's indeed not complicated, but you could make it tho! haha

Simply place the loop where you want it, run send and return jacks to the 3PDT FX In and FX Out...., just like a single true bypass looper in fact.

But too make it complicated, you could add an effect order switch, to toggle if you want the loop at the complete end of first in line of your multi ;)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

DutchMF

If I were you, I wouldn't use an extra switch, but rather use switched jacks. This way, the loop is active whenever you plug something into it, and inactive when nothing's there. Provided the effect in the loop has its own on/off switch, you can turn it on or off by itself. If you do use a separate stomp for the loop, keep in mind that when there is nothing in the loop, and you inadvertently stomp it 'on', you're muting all sound. If you want that, that's ok, but just something to take into account!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

GrindCustoms

Quote from: DutchMF on March 31, 2014, 06:39:46 PM
If I were you, I wouldn't use an extra switch, but rather use switched jacks. This way, the loop is active whenever you plug something into it, and inactive when nothing's there. Provided the effect in the loop has its own on/off switch, you can turn it on or off by itself. If you do use a separate stomp for the loop, keep in mind that when there is nothing in the loop, and you inadvertently stomp it 'on', you're muting all sound. If you want that, that's ok, but just something to take into account!

Paul

+1

Did that in couple multi, it rocks! (still put an order switch hehe)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Clayford

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 31, 2014, 06:27:44 PM
It's indeed not complicated, but you could make it tho! haha

Simply place the loop where you want it, run send and return jacks to the 3PDT FX In and FX Out...., just like a single true bypass looper in fact.

But too make it complicated, you could add an effect order switch, to toggle if you want the loop at the complete end of first in line of your multi ;)

Correct just use a standard "true bypass looper" ala Beavis
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

jimilee

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 31, 2014, 09:23:09 PM

Paul

+1

Mind=blown
Can I get a diagram of switched jacks and an order switcher? This just went to a whole new level.  The Bravia diagram was what I was thinking but now, this just got real. :0
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

LaceSensor

Paul

Or use both switched jacks and a footswitch...avoids the mute issue but allows switching in of the effect "remotely"

raulduke

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 31, 2014, 09:23:09 PM

Paul

+1

I'd go with that too.

Just get the pinout for whatever switched jack you are using (neutrik switched stereo enclosed jacks are usually cheaper than mono or no switched).

Clayford

Jimi -

I'm not able to draw this out all purty. But switched jacks are *really* easy once you grok them.

Send/recieves are done two basic ways:
Single stereo jack Insert Style:
Tip send Ring receive has become "somewhat" of a standard, but you can find boards out there that do it the opposite, requires an adaptor. Something to forget, break, etc. yuk!

Separate Jacks:
It goes out, and back in again.  ::)
You only need something to stick in between them, be it a pedal or a jumper.
Now as mentioned extra parts suck, and if you stomp on your switch and there's nothing connected...
You just got muted. Not cool.

Best solution for either case is a Stereo switched jack. I don't like the single jack method.

Tayda has these, Also you can use these cliff style. The cliff style jacks also makes it easier to see the "switching" as you plug in a cable. The cliff style technically also as a NC switch for the ground but we will ignore it for this. Lets connect the Send of our board/effect loop/switch to Send 3 (tip). Receive goes back to the board/effect via Receive 3 (tip). Ground should be connected either via the sleeves and the enclosure or Pin 1 from each jack if using the isolated jacks. For signal security, we're gonna connect Send 2 (Tip Switched) to Receive 2(Tip Switched). Now or switches are "sorta" smart. If there's something connected then we let the signal out of the box, else we pass it along through the closed switches. Still a potential failure point if one jack has something in it and the other doesn't, but this is really unlikely especially if you've got your stomp switch an option to turn on the effect loop.

If you break out your DMM and an emtpy jack you can very easily map out which pair of pins are connected to tip, sleeve, and which pin is ground. On the cliffs you see without a DMM.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded