News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

variable voltage mod to obtain lower voltages?

Started by danwelsh, March 30, 2014, 08:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

Hi guys, just had a brain fart and wondering if anyone has tried this or would it even work.....as everyone knows some pedals sound good with a dying battery, on the side i build variable voltage ecigarettes so i got to thinking whynot use the vv regulator and wire it between the power source of the pedal and add in a pot to control how much voltage gets through, it wouldn't overpower it because the main power source would only output what ps you're using...would this work i wonder or just create noise in the circuit? It'd be nice to see the voltage with a voltage display.....but i've tried just adding a voltage display when breadboarding a circuit and that causes noise.....

LaceSensor

just put a 10k pot in series with the +9v line....

danwelsh

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 30, 2014, 08:35:47 PM
just put a 10k pot in series with the +9v line....

wow, i was overthinking that one....lol

LaceSensor

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 30, 2014, 10:44:16 PM
Check this yo

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

Or use a LM317 variable voltage regulator setup if you don't want to introduce current reduction as a byproduct of series resistance...

Clayford

Quote from: danwelsh on March 30, 2014, 08:23:26 PM
[...] on the side i build variable voltage ecigarettes so i got to thinking... [...]

Mods are cool - Prefer a variable wattage myself.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

culturejam

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 30, 2014, 10:47:26 PM
Quote from: LaceSensor on March 30, 2014, 10:44:16 PM
Check this yo

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

Or use a LM317 variable voltage regulator setup if you don't want to introduce current reduction as a byproduct of series resistance...

This is what I was going to say. The series pot also reduces current, which may or may not be beneficial in any given application.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects