News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Typical Rat Shack

Started by Leevibe, March 25, 2014, 03:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

Building the Jyetech capacitance tester got me interested in 7 segment displays so I decided to start messing with them on the breadboard. I went to a local radio shack to buy a 4511 BCD driver chip. Much to my non-astonishment, they carry 7 segment LEDs but they don't carry the chips necessary to drive them! This is so classic!!

irmcdermott

"We don't have those chips, but can I help you with your cell phone plan? And, how are you batteries, because we have this great sale going on right now" - 90% of my conversations with RS employees.

Clayford

The 1980's called, and we want our effin store back!!! Oh and if you're a college student, show them your ID. 10% off.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Leevibe

Quote from: irmcdermott on March 25, 2014, 03:58:19 PM
"We don't have those chips, but can I help you with your cell phone plan? And, how are you batteries, because we have this great sale going on right now" - 90% of my conversations with RS employees.

Any time they haven't had what I was looking for, (a.k.a. always) they have let me know that I could special order it. In some cases they have asked me for part numbers!! I've been fairly polite in letting them know that the only reason I would want to pay their high prices would be for the convenience of having the item readily available.

I can understand that we are a pretty picky bunch and we have access to a pretty amazing supply chain. It does make sense that they are far more generalized and they are trying to hit a very broad target. But it baffles me about the 7 segment/BCD thing. Oh well. Mouser it is. Maybe a trip to Fry's. They are only 40 min. away and if they don't have what I'm looking for, at least they have all those plastic tubs full of cheap deals on stuff I may or may not need. And they sell beef jerky.

rullywowr

Quote from: Leevibe on March 25, 2014, 04:56:48 PM
...And they sell beef jerky.

Can't lose with that! mmm...jerky ;D

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!