News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Strings

Started by angrykoko, March 25, 2014, 01:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

Out of habit, been using Ernie Ball strings since I started playing 2 years ago.

Yesterday, I bought a set of GHS strings on a whim and kind of expected status quo sounds once I got my guitar restrung.

I swear it's like I've bought a new guitar.  The whole guitar sounds amazing all of a sudden, the notes are more even sounding and clear and open.   Just got done playing again today and I'll be damnd, what a difference.

Is it possible that there is actually some difference between string makers? 
I would have never ever guessed it if there is.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Micpoc

Quote from: angrykoko on March 25, 2014, 01:42:04 AMIs it possible that there is actually some difference between string makers? 

Of course there can be a difference, though probably not as much as the various makers try to convince us there is  ;). Question is, are they the same type of strings (type of wind, gauge, alloys of wrap)? You may have stumbled upon a particular combination that sounds good on that specific guitar. FWIW, I always had bad luck with EBs, particularly with the high E strings breaking at the ball wrap end (I usually put some solder on the plain string wraps now). Nowadays, I use GHS Nickel Rockers, as I really like the smoother feel and lower noise of the ground wound strings.

Interesting note is that the Mapes Wire Company supplies the raw materials for EB, GHS, and quite a few other string makers (though I'm pretty sure GHS does their own wound string wrapping; others may as well): http://mapeswire.com/specialtywire.html

jkokura

String materials and construction will lead to different feel, and sometimes different sounds. I'd be interested in which GHS strings you got (Boomers?) and which Ernie Balls (Slinkys?) you used to play.

Part of the problem might also be how old your previous strings were. If I were you, I'd restring with your old Ernie Balls immediately and then compare the brand new GHS strings to the brand new Ernie Balls. Old Ernie Balls compared to new GHS strings would definitely provide a drastic difference.

My personal choice is usually D'Addario. I'm planning to move to the new balanced tension sets when they come out. 10's on my long scale and 11's on my short scale guitars.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Clayford

Hah hah... I am the opposite.

I HATE Daddario's. Love me some EB's.

Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms mostly, Beefy's for my D standard LP, and Regular slinky's for the 7.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

culturejam

Back in high school (when I practiced several hours a day, every day), I used these strings:

• Ernie Ball Slinkys (10-46)
• Dean Markley Blue Steel (10-52 and 9-46)
• D'addario XL (when desperate)
• SIT Powerwound (eventually)

I wore them out so fast that eventually I switched to bulk sets of SIT Power-Wound. They didn't sound as good (although they were not bad either), but I could just replace strings as they broke without worrying about breaking a set. I lived at the beach (salt air) and I was a sweaty bastard, so strings didn't last long.

I like the Blue Steel overall for tone. The Slinkys were the easiest to get pinch harmonics with (during my Skid Row and Zakk Wilde phases).

Now I use Elixir for the sheer longevity. They sound pretty good to me, and I can leave 'em on for like 6-9 months. Back in high school, I blew a string every 6-9 days.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Haberdasher

i tried blue steels once.  they turned my fingers black and i had gunk on my fretboard afterwards, too.  i don't know wth that was all about, but that was the last time those touched my guitar.

i'm a super slinky guy.  d'addario's & sometimes dean markley's on my acoustics.

it's been years since i tried any ghs.  i wouldn't be opposed to giving them another shot sometime.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

crashguitar

I really like Thomastik-Infeld Super Alloys, however lately I have been cheap and have been using Sfarzo Alloy 5109 strings.
I tried the new Ernie Ball Cobalt strings and D'Addario Balanced Tension. The Cobalts were OK. The Balanced Tension ones wouldn't stay in tune.

Chad

lincolnic

I've been using SIT Powerwounds forever, and I've never felt the need to try anything different. CJ, you say they don't sound as good - what specifically do you prefer about other strings more? Curious to see if there's something better I should be using.

alanp

I change my guitar strings maybe... once every two or three years, IF I remember. I don't wipe 'em or anything, they just don't go rusty or gunky for me.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Quote from: angrykoko on March 25, 2014, 01:42:04 AM
Out of habit, been using Ernie Ball strings since I started playing 2 years ago.

Yesterday, I bought a set of GHS strings on a whim and kind of expected status quo sounds once I got my guitar restrung.

I swear it's like I've bought a new guitar.  The whole guitar sounds amazing all of a sudden, the notes are more even sounding and clear and open.   Just got done playing again today and I'll be damnd, what a difference.

Is it possible that there is actually some difference between string makers? 
Certainly there is, and various strings sound differently on various guitars. I have found my favorite strings I have used for years sound terrible when tuned down a half step. Switched to Ernie ball. Ghs are good strings, but they go dead faster and I tend to break them more frequently.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Clayford on March 25, 2014, 02:28:03 AM
Hah hah... I am the opposite.

I HATE Daddario's. Love me some EB's.

Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms mostly, Beefy's for my D standard LP, and Regular slinky's for the 7.

I'm with you man...except the whole "loving EB". I use DR high beam 10-52 for my SG and DR 10's for the LP. I made the switch about 7 years ago and I'll never go back! They are a little more expensive but totally worth it. Clayford, if you like the light to heavy bottoms, give em a wurl. here is a link.

http://www.juststrings.com/drs-btr-10.html

p.s. If you have never been to this site, it rules! I've ordered from them several times.

culturejam

Quote from: crashguitar on March 25, 2014, 03:54:25 AM
I really like Thomastik-Infeld Super Alloys, however lately I have been cheap and have been using Sfarzo Alloy 5109 strings.

Ah, so you like the cheap shit, eh?   ;D   BTW, the Sfarzo used to be called "Snake Oil Brand"....before the guy ended up owing a ton of people money for strings not delivered (allegedly). Talk about self-fulling prophecy.  :D

Quote from: lincolnic on March 25, 2014, 04:25:13 AM
CJ, you say they don't sound as good - what specifically do you prefer about other strings more?

Hard to say. We would need a time machine to talk to 17-year-old me and ask him.  ;D I just recall that was my opinion at the time. My recollection is that the Blue Steels just "sounded better" on my Ibanez 770DX, while the Slinkys had great pinch harmonics and were nice and loose (action-wise) on my Strat. The SITs were fine strings, they just didn't "pop" the way the others did. Again, this is filtered through memories that are now 20 years in the past.  :-[ :'(
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

irmcdermott

I used to play with EB Super Slinky... then eventually Regular Slinky... but now i play nothing but D'Addario XL10 Regulars.

selfdestroyer

I used to be just a super slinky guy back when I played a lot because that is what my dad used and I got used to them. But as of late I have been using D'Addario EXL116 (.011-.052) on most of my guitars. I love the feel of them and get great low end with them.

Cody

Vallhagen

I mostly use Ernie Ball, the hybrid slinky ones (9 - 46). There is definately a diference in feel and perfformance between string makers/brands, but the most noticable thing is the difference between used and new ones. I remember Blue Steel as really good strings too, but it was a while since i used them.

I don't have a rule about how often i shall change strings, but when i brake one string i change them all, gives me a decent interval.
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/