Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Strings

Started by angrykoko, March 25, 2014, 01:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

EB regular slinkys (10-46) for electric

D'Addario EXP lights (12-53) for acoustic

Just Strings is a great place to buy. Huge selection and great prices. I use their house brand bulk strings to stock up for our worship teams for replacements for strings that tend to break a lot. Lots of G's in that stash.

And I've been using Fast Fret for about a year now. I love it. It keeps the strings clean and fresh.

jkokura

Quote from: davent on March 25, 2014, 03:59:59 PM
Quote from: jkokura on March 25, 2014, 01:56:09 AM

My personal choice is usually D'Addario. I'm planning to move to the new balanced tension sets when they come out. 10's on my long scale and 11's on my short scale guitars.

Jacob

These guys look to have the d'addarios, and a relatively low minimum order ($35) for free shipping to Canada/US. Bought from them a few times and they presently have a no minimum/free shipping coupon out... looks like for a few  more days: FREESHIP

No affiliation with them, just a pleased Canadian customer.

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/

That's where I get my strings from %90 of the time. When I need a quick set I get them at a local shop.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

Landed on D'Addarios, 9-46 on longer scale, 10-46 on shorter scale, 11-52 on hybrid electric/acoustic.  Had some success with Gibson strings as well, but I typically buy 10 packs of D'Addarios.

Bass, err, whatevers in the string box.  Get changed almost never.

Acoustics, Martin/Dean Markley/D'Addario.

Change strings only when I absolutely have to.  If I followed the "string change every three months" rule, that would be what, 4 sets a year per guitar, ~70 guitars, that's 300 sets a year @ $5 a set....best not to think about it.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

irmcdermott

I'll just throw this out there for the XL players like me...

You can also "Subscribe" to them on Amazon, and you get the free shipping if you are a Prime member (it may be free if you aren't, but I'm not sure).

Basically, you can choose 1 pack, 3 packs, or 10 packs, and then set how often you want them delivered (every 1-6 months are the options). So I have mine setup to send my 3 packs every 4 months. With the 15% discount for subscribing, I get three packs for for $9.30 before TN sales tax ($10.16 after). Well worth it to to me at $3.39 a pack after tax to always have strings laying around and never having to go to the store or place an order.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EEJ91I/ref=rcxsubs_mys2_product_title

GrindCustoms

I've been using EB Slinkys for many years and maybe 2 years ago a buddy came over my place and gave me a set of 10-46 EB Cobalt, i just falled in love with those strings... more definition, though longer to oxidation (i do lots of acidity) and the output/dynamic is plain awesome. Since that time i've been using those on my 6 and 7 string guitars, yes they are more expensive, but they deliver, so it worth it to me.

I've also used SIT for a long time, they where offering the largest variety in 7 string back then (10-12 years ago) and where cheap on purchase and feeled just like D'addarios.

Maybe 4-5 years ago i was dealer for SIT, i was a lot into the sevenstrings.org forum and there was a lack of offering in the extended range instrument niche. Had some really good service with them, sold BUNCH of custom sets, satisfied customers too. A great experience it was. That brand is quite under rated i believe, their product are great and really affordable, they also make strings for every imaginable kind of stringed instrument without breaking the bank.

Now i order all my strings from www.juststrings.com, Mike is a great guy to deal with and always makes my package so i don't get bummed by the customs, that is a big PLUS in my book.

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

lincolnic

Quote from: Clayford on March 25, 2014, 04:49:31 PM
There is a MESS of 10-52 players on here. And yes. String Club. Worst thing GC ever did was reduce the amount of money I spend there. I know the idea is loss leader, but it doesn't work much that way for me.

10-46 here. But I use D'Addario XLs on my baritone - the "baritone light" set, to be exact. Those are 13-62. Hefty!

AntKnee

I started on the EB super slinky, then at some point in my late teens switched to GHS boomers. Been using them ever since. That was like... uuuuh... 20 or so years ago. I just haven't tried anything new since. If it ain't broke...
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

thesameage

I've gotten a bunch of nickel strings from http://stringdog.net/products.html. Pretty good stuff.

For bass strings, I have settled on sadowsky flatwounds. Really amazing strings. They are around $40 but they last for years.