News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Strings

Started by angrykoko, March 25, 2014, 01:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyfox

Quote from: Vallhagen on March 25, 2014, 06:13:49 AM
but the most noticable thing is the difference between used and new ones.

This is what I've noticed too. There's some slight variation between brands when new but my corrosive sweat sends them all south pretty fast. When they get there, they all sound pretty much the same to me. I don't ever break strings so I just change them all two-three-four times a year.

That said, I've settled on purple slinkies for shortscale, yellow slinkies for longscale.

micromegas

D'Addario Flat Chromes (11-50) on my Ibanez semi-hollow and Elixir 10-52 (recently moved to 10-46 to experiment a lil bit) on my strat
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Tremster

I play mostly Pyramid or D'Addario, but I don't depend on any particular brand as long as they're .11s and pure nickel.
Except Dean Markley, which I won't buy again after bad experience. Don't know what it was with those but they just didn't stay in tune. Or broke quickly before they could get out of tune.

But I also would like to know the difference in size or material between the two sets from the OP.

angrykoko

Quote from: jkokura on March 25, 2014, 01:56:09 AM
String materials and construction will lead to different feel, and sometimes different sounds. I'd be interested in which GHS strings you got (Boomers?) and which Ernie Balls (Slinkys?) you used to play.

Part of the problem might also be how old your previous strings were. If I were you, I'd restring with your old Ernie Balls immediately and then compare the brand new GHS strings to the brand new Ernie Balls. Old Ernie Balls compared to new GHS strings would definitely provide a drastic difference.

My personal choice is usually D'Addario. I'm planning to move to the new balanced tension sets when they come out. 10's on my long scale and 11's on my short scale guitars.

Jacob

Been using EB Regular Slinky (10's).
GHS Boomers (10's).
I change strings every 4 to 6 months.

I don't know yet if it's all in my head (probably is) but my epi les paul is just rocking it with these GHS's.   
Now I have a bug to try some different brands on my reverend and strat.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

midwayfair

My acoustics seem to be pretty picky about what goes on them. My koa Larrivee sounds really hard and tinny with Martins or Cleartones, but Elixirs sound perfect on it. My Tennessee Crafters is the exact opposite ... sounds overly bright with elixirs and perfect with cleartones (or the Martin strings that have the same coating).

My electrics seem to be a little less picky. I was using cleartones for a while because I had thought at some point that the elixirs sounded weird on a couple, but I couldn't really tell a difference when I went back and checked over the winter. So now i'm just using elixirs on them so I can buy multipacks. The Elixirs last longer than anything else (unless you use a pick), so in the end they're the cheapest way to restring my guitars.

pryde

As a repairman and stringing/playing countless guitars day in and day out I have settled on good ole Dadarrio XLs for consistent quality, low breakage, and stable intonation.

But really the best strings are the ones you change most often. Might just be splitting hairs otherwise  ;)

mjcyates

I have settled in on Elixirs. I like the way they feel and I have gotten used to the tone.

slimtriggers

I joined the Guitar Center String Club a while back, so I've been trying out lots of different brands.  I only remember that I wasn't impressed with Cleartones.  Cobalts didn't live up to the hype for me, either.  I also noticed an improvement in tone from the GHS boomers, but can't rule out the idea that the strings I'm comparing them to were dead.

Otherwise, as long as they're 10s, I'm not too picky.

flanagan0718

Wow, I am actually shocked that i'm the only one so far that uses DR Strings. They last a long time and sound nice and even (not tinny). I've tried tons of strings and out of the ones you guys seem to frequent i like GHS boomers the most (10s). When I had an acoustic I used the D'Addario version of the elixiars, can't remember what they are called. Ah ha! these are them
http://www.juststrings.com/dad-exp11.html

once again here are the DRs if anyone wants to try them. For My SG (C# G# C# F Bb Eb)
http://www.juststrings.com/drs-btr-10.html

and these on the Les Paul (E A D G B E)
http://www.juststrings.com/drs-mtr-10.html

rullywowr

Quote from: pryde on March 25, 2014, 12:03:15 PM
As a repairman and stringing/playing countless guitars day in and day out I have settled on good ole Dadarrio XLs for consistent quality, low breakage, and stable intonation.

But really the best strings are the ones you change most often. Might just be splitting hairs otherwise  ;)

I'm with you man. I like D'addarios on my electrics (9s on 25.5 scale and 10s on 24.75 scale). I change them pretty often and buy them by the reel.

For acoustics, Martin phosphor bronze and Elixirs have been good to me.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Willybomb

I've been using D'addario XLs 9-46 since... probably 1993 at least if not before, on all my electrics.  I only really change the strings when one breaks, then I'll usually do the lot at once on that particular guitar.

My acoustic just gets whatever the shop puts on them, usually a medium gauge.  I play that thing on average 6 hours a day at least for work, so the strings get broken in nicely pretty quickly.  Again, I only change them when they break.

This one time, in 1991, I put a set of Peavey Lazers (got them for xmas) on an electric and took it to band practice.  I broke a string that same day.

angrykoko

Quote from: flanagan0718 on March 25, 2014, 12:40:42 PM
Wow, I am actually shocked that i'm the only one so far that uses DR Strings. They last a long time and sound nice and even (not tinny). I've tried tons of strings and out of the ones you guys seem to frequent i like GHS boomers the most (10s). When I had an acoustic I used the D'Addario version of the elixiars, can't remember what they are called. Ah ha! these are them
http://www.juststrings.com/dad-exp11.html

once again here are the DRs if anyone wants to try them. For My SG (C# G# C# F Bb Eb)
http://www.juststrings.com/drs-btr-10.html

and these on the Les Paul (E A D G B E)
http://www.juststrings.com/drs-mtr-10.html

I've seen a lot of love for the DR brand strings on other forums.
I plan to give them a try.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

madbean

I like DRs on bass. Don't like them too much on guitar.
Just put 10-52 D'Addario on the SG...pretty good.

My favorite of all time: Martin SP Electrics. They don't make them anymore. Most amazing sounding and feeling strings ever. But, they were not popular, I guess.

davent

Quote from: jkokura on March 25, 2014, 01:56:09 AM

My personal choice is usually D'Addario. I'm planning to move to the new balanced tension sets when they come out. 10's on my long scale and 11's on my short scale guitars.

Jacob

These guys look to have the d'addarios, and a relatively low minimum order ($35) for free shipping to Canada/US. Bought from them a few times and they presently have a no minimum/free shipping coupon out... looks like for a few  more days: FREESHIP

No affiliation with them, just a pleased Canadian customer.

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Clayford

There is a MESS of 10-52 players on here. And yes. String Club. Worst thing GC ever did was reduce the amount of money I spend there. I know the idea is loss leader, but it doesn't work much that way for me.

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded