News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Real mn3005?

Started by Matt, March 24, 2014, 12:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Does this mn3005 look like the real deal?  I ask because I got it in trade today and the delay time seemed short.  I maxed the delay time and checked it against a boss dd20 and was a bit nervous to see it matched at 150ms. 

I messed with the 1M trimpot and got it to 300ms and the delay sounds good, no clock noise.  By the way it's a dod fx90.

Is it real?
Matt

jkokura

Yeah. You couldn't get 300ms good or bad sound out of one MN3008. It's a 3005.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Scruffie

Quote from: jkokura on March 24, 2014, 12:16:23 AM

Jacob
Yes, you could, the signal degrades a lot more but you can.

Anyway, as you say you got 300mS with no clock noise i'd assume it was real, unless it sounded all bit crushed/ringmoddy at those lengths.
Works at Lectric-FX

jkokura

Quote from: Scruffie on March 24, 2014, 12:18:43 AM

Jacob

Anyway, as you say you got 300mS with no clock noise i'd assume it was real, unless it sounded all bit crushed/ringmoddy at those lengths.

True Pete, but not in an existing FX90 unless it had been way heavily modded. You could on the breadboard.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Matt

Jacob

That's a relief. Haha. I took a chance on this one.  Never know with craigslist

No strange noises at all.  The trimpot is really sensitive so I heard a few of those types of sounds while adjusting it but that was well past 300ms. 

Thanks for the quick replies.  I appreciate the help!

Now I have to think about swapping out the input / output buffer ic and some if the caps in the audio path or just leave it alone.
Matt

jkokura

Nah, leave it alone. I've played those things and they have some awesome character as is.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Scruffie

Quote from: jkokura on March 24, 2014, 12:25:52 AM

Jacob

True Pete, but not in an existing FX90 unless it had been way heavily modded. You could on the breadboard.

Jacob
He's playing with the clock trim, that'd let him take it past  ;)
Works at Lectric-FX

Govmnt_Lacky

Just out of curiosity.... How are you "certain" that the delay is upwards of 300ms?

Are you scoping the waveforms and A/Bing for delay time?

Scruffie

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 24, 2014, 02:08:30 AM
Just out of curiosity.... How are you "certain" that the delay is upwards of 300ms?

He mentions using a BOSS DD20... i'm guessing that can be set to specific delay times and he's A/Bing the pedals.
Works at Lectric-FX

Matt

Quote from: Scruffie on March 24, 2014, 02:37:20 AM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 24, 2014, 02:08:30 AM

He mentions using a BOSS DD20... i'm guessing that can be set to specific delay times and he's A/Bing the pedals.

That's exactly what I did.  The dd20 displays the delay setting in milliseconds.
Matt

GrindCustoms

I had bought a working FX90 just for the BBD, that delay does'nt have anything special in is sound. You could now easily build something that sounds simply better or do is job in a more original manner.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

peAk

Do all the FX90 versions have 3005s?

Scruffie

So destroying a perfectly good pedal that a lot of people like the sound of just to DIY something else?  ???
Works at Lectric-FX

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Scruffie on March 24, 2014, 06:41:45 PM
So destroying a perfectly good pedal that a lot of people like the sound of just to DIY something else?  ???

It's not destroying, it's taking an IC out... and it's socketed.

Just a suggestion, did'nt knew some people liked the sound of it that is.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Scruffie

Well alright not destroying but it's no longer functional without that part so you have an effectively dead pedal unless you give it the chip back.

Yeah some people love 'em.
Works at Lectric-FX