News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about guitar interfaces

Started by HailToTheBlues, March 23, 2014, 05:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lincolnic

Quote from: Willybomb on April 02, 2014, 02:36:37 PM
Had a quick dip with the 18i8 tonight.  Plenty of usable gain with and without the pad, but so far I'm finding that it's clipping before the "halo" level indicator goes red.  Not a big deal, you just have to listen.

Engineer with your ears, not your eyes.

Willybomb

Well, the fact of the matter is that the moment you go too hard with a clean source it sounds like a 1-knob fuzz.  If you can't pick up that you should probably take something else up as a hobby.

Actually.... if I was recording a fuzzed guitar signal it could be a +ve or a -ve.  Dunno yet! 

lincolnic

Quote from: Willybomb on April 03, 2014, 01:05:46 PM
Well, the fact of the matter is that the moment you go too hard with a clean source it sounds like a 1-knob fuzz.  If you can't pick up that you should probably take something else up as a hobby.

Actually.... if I was recording a fuzzed guitar signal it could be a +ve or a -ve.  Dunno yet!

Truth. The "Revolution 1" guitar sound was an overloaded mic pre, after all.

RasRiff

I don't understand why people talk sh*t about behringer and peavey.
I have recorded entire albums using behringer equipment, and never had any problems.
I guess you just have to know what you're doing.
Or you can be a sucker and pay out the butt for the same stuff.

jball85

pickdropper

Quote from: RasRiff on October 10, 2014, 10:19:34 PM
I have recorded entire albums using behringer equipment, and never had any problems.

I've seen a lot of Behringer stuff break down.  Some of it's made with pretty low grade components.  But, to be fair to them, they price it accordingly, so it can be a decent value.

I am not sure if I'd go as far as to say that it is "the same stuff."  A lot of the more expensive stuff uses higher quality components, some of which will affect reliability and some that can affect sound quality.

But sure, you can record an album with it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

blearyeyes

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 has been around for a while and has been met with rave reviews by audio engineers around the net..

i just ordered 6 of them for the workplace.

jkokura

Quote from: pickdropper on October 13, 2014, 08:40:06 PM
Quote from: RasRiff on October 10, 2014, 10:19:34 PM

I've seen a lot of Behringer stuff break down.  Some of it's made with pretty low grade components.  But, to be fair to them, they price it accordingly, so it can be a decent value.

I am not sure if I'd go as far as to say that it is "the same stuff."  A lot of the more expensive stuff uses higher quality components, some of which will affect reliability and some that can affect sound quality.

But sure, you can record an album with it.

Further to this - Behringer's stuff is often non-repairable as well. I know that my Presonus gear is only slightly more repairable, but they don't build their interfaces in such a way as to make them impossible to repair.

I have a good relationship with a local electronics repair guy, we go for coffee. I've learned not to get him going on Behringer... Once he showed me a shelving unit in his shop that was stacked with B stuff - all of it non-repairable or impossible to repair. No other brand he knows of builds audio/guitar gear like that.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals