News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about guitar interfaces

Started by HailToTheBlues, March 23, 2014, 05:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hi,
I didn't know where i could start this topic, so i'm sorry if i posted it in the wrong place. I'm thinking of buying a guitar interface, so i can start on recording some samples and stuff, and i was wondering if you could advise me about which one should i buy: a peavey xport usb or a behringer ucg102?

If you know better options in the same range of price or a litle above, don't hesitate to tell me :)

Thanks in advance

blearyeyes

Don't cheap out to much or you won't enjoy the sound of it much. I don't buy Behringer stuff cause the started out ripping off other peoples work and selling it way cheaper.
Look around and pay a little more. Google is good...

kothoma

Granted, most Behringer stuff I ever owned had to go pretty soon. But not all their stuff is bad or bad clones.

The Guitar Link UCG102 is decent, but also consider a U-PHORIA UM2 as it has a knob for the input level and two input channels.
If you already have a little buffer/booster for guitar you could even use a U-Control UCA202/UCA222.

Another thing to consider: if you are new to this you probably don't own recording software (a DAW) yet.
So look out for hardware that has some (entry level version) DAW (and perhaps amp sim) bundled.

muddyfox

From what I've seen, all bundled DAWs are crippled versions of huge production software. If he's really new to this, he might consider going with free Audacity, then maybe move on to Reaper (also free)?

kothoma

Crippled, yes. Often the number of audio and midi tracks is limited. So the number of plugins.
But still better than any old 4-track portastudio (if anyone remembers them).
I used Cubase LE for years before I really needed (and could afford) more.

Gledison

I have an M-Audio Fast track pro that do the job i want! Its relatively cheap!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Jabulani Jonny

Also look at the Low level Presonus stuff that comes with Studio One. Their interfaces are pretty good and I've heard great things about Studio One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

rullywowr

Reaper is the bomb and free (or very low cost). The Presonus Audiobox is also an inexpensive good interface.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

flanagan0718

Can't go wrong with Presonus, M-Audio, and Lexicon. Even the Line 6 ux2 is ok. Brands to avoid like the BLACK PLAGUE: Behringer, Peavey, Zoom, and Newmark (never had any luck with any of these recording devices).

kothoma

I've had great results with Focusrite (Scarlett 2i2), Steinberg (UR22, doesn't work in Linux though), and Native Instruments (Guitar Rig Session I/O).
But these are a bit above the mentioned price range.

midwayfair

Look for a used Scarlett 2i2. I've seen them for $100 on the gear page.

alanp

For my purposes (just recording stuff, maybe "turning it up" if I recorded a bit too quiet, and trimming the silences), Audacity works alright. I've got a Scarlett 2i4 that I plug a red 12 Gauge Mic into, and it sounds pretty decent.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jkokura

I think what has to be considered here is what you're recording your samples with. I think many interfaces come with a software system, or a DAW, but I don't know how many of them come with a digital guitar plugin.

I always seem to be flogging Presonus, but boy I've been pleased with the Audiobox 44VSL that I have. I believe they have a 2 channel 22VSL that's fairly reasonably priced, and it comes with a DAW. The DAW is called Studio One, and the free version is pretty great, but you don't really get a good virtual guitar system unless you upgrade to their pro DAW. Studio One Pro comes with Native Instrument's guitar program, which is freaking rad.

Right now, until the end of the month, upgrading to Studio One Pro is %50 off, which is great, but that only helps if you're willing to both buy the interface ($150?) AND also upgrade the DAW.

TL/DR, consider the program you're using to plug your guitar in as well as the interface, and don't just buy a great interface unless you also can get the software you need as well.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

HailToTheBlues

Thanks for all the replies, i really appreciate that. I'm gonna check all the options of interfaces you gave me. About the software, i know someone who can get me a guitar rig 5. I have tried the gr3 and liked it, but don't know if the gr5 is any good.
So i think that the only problem here, is just deciding which interface to get :)

HailToTheBlues

I'm currently comparing three interfaces: m-audio fast track pro, Audio box Usb and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. So which one of those would be the best option? Are there better options than those? Tell me what you think :D