News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cu + Krusher

Started by GrindCustoms, March 20, 2014, 06:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Been a while since i posted a build report, since i started to work on that SLO built everything else seemed uninteresting but it have naturally grown back on me..., back to it!

First is a re-Filled Heliotrope, built on NazNomad layout. Still my favorite unusable effect! :D

I don't remember why i gutted the previous Heliotrope that was in that enclosure and i can't seem to find the circuit...'nyway.. ...i thought that box deserved to make some sound...

Not really happy of how the wiring turned out, with the Oscillator shutter.. i dunno did'nt work like i wanted.

Second one that i boxed tonight is something new to me, i think everybody that have been in the hobby for a while have built one of these, but i had'nt. Madbean Snarkdoodle built to Red Llama specs.

Wanted to try that new Copper paint i got and went with the assorted knobs.

This one came out like i expected :)

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

LaceSensor

counter-sunk LED hole FTMFW

juansolo

Very cool. Love your style man  8)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Jabulani Jonny

Holy crap those look awesome.  I'm actually getting ready to completely rip off this style for a couple Pork Barrel builds.  Please don't take offense.   ;D

With that in mind, do mind a couple questions? 

Do you paint multiple coats of a single color and then the others, or just a single coat of each? 
Do you use a wire bit or something else to sand, or is it by hand?
Looks like you do your stamping after you paint, so no paint gets in the grooves.  Is that correct? 

Those just look freakin' sweet.   
Jonathan

peAk

GrindCustoms

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 20, 2014, 08:20:39 AM
counter-sunk LED hole FTMFW

Funny thing is that i was'nt going to do a counter sunk on this one... but when i was bringing the hole to right size with the step bit i started to drill the LED and went like... OH FUCK!!! and then assumed it...lol

Quote from: juansolo on March 20, 2014, 06:43:18 PM
Very cool. Love your style man  8)

Thanks mate, i need to try sanding abstract boobs and pinups now....!

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on March 20, 2014, 07:28:27 PM
Holy crap those look awesome.  I'm actually getting ready to completely rip off this style for a couple Pork Barrel builds.  Please don't take offense.   ;D

With that in mind, do mind a couple questions? 

Do you paint multiple coats of a single color and then the others, or just a single coat of each? 
Do you use a wire bit or something else to sand, or is it by hand?
Looks like you do your stamping after you paint, so no paint gets in the grooves.  Is that correct? 

Those just look freakin' sweet.   

No problem at all with you trying out to perform that style, but seriously... my royalties are 5%. :-*

For 3 color schemes including the raw aluminum, i usually spray (Rustoleum/Tremclad) the first coat, that are always matte colors, the other layer stick better and it's easier to make a gradiant once you get to the sanding step.

Bake that first coat, let cool down, spray the second, bake again... i usually bake for 15minutes at 300F.

The paint job does not need to be perfect.. leaks and drips are almost wanted they had texture and various pattern when sanding.

The coats are relatively thin, no need to overspray... you'll simply run out of elbow grease before you're done sanding the enclosure.

For the sanding i use 0000 steelwool, the Bulldog brand, tried many many many type and brand of steel wool and this one is the best for how long one «bail» will last.

I start by sanding the bottom edge and top edge of enclosure, so the raw aluminum starts to shows, i then carefully.. well.. just a bit more attention... i do all this in a random manner...

Once done with the edges i use full size of the wool and go with the feel of how the pain layers react to abrasion... listen to the metal! haha

Same process goes with the top, if you want defined raw line try to use the «corner» of the wool, do those first, make them fine as possible.... because when you'll start sanding the top full width, they will enlarge.

It might sound or look like it's easy to perform, but i've made hundreds of these to date and i'm still learning new techniques every now and then.

Hope it helps a bit!

Rej

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

slimtriggers

I love these!  You've really elevated this style to an art form  8)

billstein

Once again Rej pure awesomeness

lincolnic

Jabulani Jonny

Thanks Rej!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

selfdestroyer

Another great build Rej. Thanks for the run down of your process. I love how you do your knob layouts on all your builds.

Cody

GrindCustoms

Thanks again guys, really appreciated :)

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 21, 2014, 05:24:53 PM
Another great build Rej. Thanks for the run down of your process. I love how you do your knob layouts on all your builds.

Cody

Thanks Sir, the Snarkdoodle was quite a pita... that pot layout was a first, should have take a picture of the inside, i could describe it as the way that you get 2x 16mm pots sitting on top of each other the closest they can be, in fact the fiber board of the board are snug on each other...  and i was 1.5mm overall too high in the pot arrangement so i had to dremelized a cavity in the «screw post» to have them sitting well.

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on March 21, 2014, 02:57:25 PM
Thanks Rej!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No prob! If you have any other question while doing it, just asked them in this thread, i'll keep an eye out.

davent

Rej, you and Glops score huge dystopian style points, love them... one look and you can identify the maker!

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

GrindCustoms

Quote from: davent on March 25, 2014, 12:13:09 AM
Rej, you and Glops score huge dystopian style points, love them... one look and you can identify the maker!

dave

Thanks mate! ;)

Pardon my ignorance, but who's Glops? :-\

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?