News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is there a cheap alternative way to ship overseas in the US?

Started by pappasmurfsharem, March 19, 2014, 04:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappasmurfsharem

I have a few people interested in PCBs overseas.

Calculating the shipping to the Netherlands from the US is $29 for a small 4oz package. Just for shipping.

I can actually place the PCB order at OSHPark for them, and they will get 3 boards for cheaper than the shipping costs alone.

Is there a better way?

rullywowr

Certainly. You can stick a PCB in a "thank you" or birthday card and ship it first class. Tape it to the card. It will be global first class letter rate ($1.15 I believe) and add 21c for non machinable postage.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

DutchMF

Quote from: rullywowr on March 19, 2014, 04:59:05 PM
Certainly. You can stick a PCB in a "thank you" or birthday card and ship it first class. Tape it to the card. It will be global first class letter rate ($1.15 I believe) and add 21c for non machinable postage.

This method works for sure. I've received several pcb's (and some nice cards!  ;) ) this way, and I'm in the Netherlands as well.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

It also helps if you do what I do, and buy a dozen stamps and drop them off in a postbox, WITHOUT dropping them off at the post shop where they ask stupid questions like "What's in these?"
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Stomptown

I recommend buying sheets of the 66 cent stamps (they have a Butterfly on them) for shipping PCB's. You can use one of those in the US to ship the method described above (inside a thank you card) and mark it Non-Machinable (if you just use a forever stamp it will go through the machines). Slap 2 stamps on and you can ship international! Now if you are doing this as a business I would probably mail in flats within the USA. If not, just always make sure you have an extra PCB on hand in case something goes wrong...

Here is a link to the stamps:

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?categoryNavIds=catBuyStamps%3asubcatS_S_Sheets&categoryNav=false&navAction=push&navCount=0&productId=S_115904&categoryId=subcatS_S_Sheets

gtr2

Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on March 19, 2014, 04:55:02 PM
I have a few people interested in PCBs overseas.

Calculating the shipping to the Netherlands from the US is $29 for a small 4oz package. Just for shipping.

I can actually place the PCB order at OSHPark for them, and they will get 3 boards for cheaper than the shipping costs alone.

Is there a better way?

Split the order into two 2oz flats.  As long as you're under 3/4" thickness you're good.  Should be around $3.50 each.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

DutchMF

Quote from: alanp on March 20, 2014, 03:15:56 AM
It also helps if you do what I do, and buy a dozen stamps and drop them off in a postbox, WITHOUT dropping them off at the post shop where they ask stupid questions like "What's in these?"

This is some of the best advice yet, the less hands and eyes go over your envelope/package, the better!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

midwayfair

Quote from: Stomptown on March 20, 2014, 03:30:40 AM
I recommend buying sheets of the 66 cent stamps (they have a Butterfly on them) for shipping PCB's. You can use one of those in the US to ship the method described above (inside a thank you card) and mark it Non-Machinable (if you just use a forever stamp it will go through the machines). Slap 2 stamps on and you can ship international! Now if you are doing this as a business I would probably mail in flats within the USA. If not, just always make sure you have an extra PCB on hand in case something goes wrong...

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?categoryNavIds=catBuyStamps%3asubcatS_S_Sheets&categoryNav=false&navAction=push&navCount=0&productId=S_115904&categoryId=subcatS_S_Sheets

It's 70c in the US now.

rullywowr

Quote from: midwayfair on March 20, 2014, 06:00:17 PM

It's 70c in the US now.

Yes it is 70c in the usa now. They just came out with 21c stamps (finally).

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Stomptown

Quote from: midwayfair on March 20, 2014, 06:00:17 PM

It's 70c in the US now.

Oops! Thanks for the correction and the heads up Jon!