News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wiring Masters, need some advice...

Started by peAk, March 19, 2014, 03:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

So I got some great advice on drilling methods from many of you....

...now I need some advice on wiring.

When you realize you need your wires to be a little longer than you orginally cut them and you have already soldered them, how do you extend them? Do you just cut the wire, solder another piece, and tape them?

Just trying to get the cleanest method. Desoldering from switches and pots isn't a big deal but don't like to desolder wire from the PCB if I don't have to.

I am trying to get my wiring neater so I can actually post the guts on one of my builds finally  ;)

raulduke

Desolder the old wire off and solder a new wire on.

There is not really any other neat way of doing it.

You could joint a new wire on to the old one. Then cover with heat shrink.

Nothing really wrong with that but it won't look as neat and tidy.

'If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right'  ;).

Leevibe

Quote from: raulduke on March 19, 2014, 03:35:27 PM
Desolder the old wire off and solder a new wire one.

+1

peAk

Quote from: raulduke on March 19, 2014, 03:35:27 PM
Desolder the old wire off and solder a new wire one.

....this was the response I was afraid of. I thought someone was going to have some magical, clean way of not having to do this.

rullywowr

A desoldering iron will change your life...  :)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Leevibe

If you have to do a butt connection, at least use heat shrink. It's much neater looking and mor reliable than tape.

peAk

Quote from: rullywowr on March 19, 2014, 03:55:16 PM
A desoldering iron will change your life...  :)

would something like this be okay? or is it kind of, you get what you pay for kind of deal? I went through 3 soldering irons until a ended up with my Hakko.

http://www.amazon.com/ECG-J-045-DS-Watt-Desoldering-Iron/dp/B00068IJSG/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1395245056&sr=1-1&keywords=desoldering+iron

Leevibe

I have that iron and I don't like it. The tip oxidized almost immediately and solder doesn't want to whet to it. I should probably just stock up on tips and live with it. I've reverted to the RS blue cheapie but I would love a good desoldering pump too.

peAk

Quote from: Leevibe on March 19, 2014, 04:09:05 PM
I have that iron and I don't like it. The tip oxidized almost immediately and solder doesn't want to whet to it. I should probably just stock up on tips and live with it. I've reverted to the RS blue cheapie but I would love a good desoldering pump too.

I just can't justify spending too much $$$ on a desoldering iron when I don't desolder THAT often. I wonder if that would be good enough? I am pretty good about tinning my tips before I turn it off. When it was new, did it work okay? 

davent

Maybe try some tip conditioner (tip tinner), i recently got some of this and it revived some old tips that were headed to the trash. (Very small tin). http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/0051303199/0051303199-ND/1801474

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

peAk

Quote from: davent on March 19, 2014, 04:26:07 PM
Maybe try some tip conditioner (tip tinner), i recently got some of this and it revived some old tips that were headed to the trash. (Very small tin). http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/0051303199/0051303199-ND/1801474

I went ahead and ordered that cheap desolder iron along with some of this tip tinner. Hopefully it will be better than what I am using now.....which is pretty much nothing (Solder sucker from RadioShack)

rullywowr

It will be better for sure. Down the  road I would recommend picking up a Hakko. I found a 472d on ebay for a good price and there are tons of parts available for it. Others have great luck with the hakko 808

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Leevibe

Quote from: peAk on March 19, 2014, 04:22:00 PM
Quote from: Leevibe on March 19, 2014, 04:09:05 PM

I just can't justify spending too much $$$ on a desoldering iron when I don't desolder THAT often. I wonder if that would be good enough? I am pretty good about tinning my tips before I turn it off. When it was new, did it work okay?

Yes, when it was new I loved it. That love lasted for a very short time! I think it would have worked better for me to put it on a rheostat and have it run a little cooler. I do have a little can of that stuff. I think I should buy a new tip and dip it in that a lot. I'm also meticulous about keeping my iron tip tinned, but I think the plating on that thing combined with the high temp make the tips go south quick. I think they run at 45w, which is higher than I need for any PCB desoldering.

I want to get a soldapult or one of those little solder suckers with the flexible silicone tip. If that doesn't work, I want to save up for the Hakko 808. I can't justify spending the money, especially since I just don't do that much desoldering. Still, how cool would it be? As far as dedicated desoldering pumps go, it's relatively inexpensive and it gets very good reviews.

As far as desoldering wire, I find wire to be the easiest thing there is to desolder. Heat it up and pull it out. Clean out the pad and resolder. I use my cheap solder sucker to clean out the pad but I read that just leaving a toothpick in the hole as the solder cools will keep it clear. I want to try that but I keep forgetting to buy toothpicks! At least they fit the budget, right?

Jefe

Just butt splice in some more wire, and cover it with heat shrink tubing. If anyone tells you it looks ugly, then tell them  to shove it.

Also, don't waste your money on a dedicated desoldering iron, just get a decent solder sucker & some desoldering braid. It's not like you're going to be making tons of repeat mistakes, right? I mean, i'll bet you never cut your wires too short ever again ;-)

peAk

Quote from: Leevibe on March 19, 2014, 05:06:40 PM
As far as desoldering wire, I find wire to be the easiest thing there is to desolder. Heat it up and pull it out. Clean out the pad and resolder. I use my cheap solder sucker to clean out the pad but I read that just leaving a toothpick in the hole as the solder cools will keep it clear. I want to try that but I keep forgetting to buy toothpicks! At least they fit the budget, right?

Yeah, getting wire out is no problem. It's removing the solder that is a PITA. I just had an experience yesterday where I had a pad come off a PCB. First time that has ever happened to me but it happened while I was try to heat the pcb from one side and use the solder sucker from the other. Oh man, it's such a pain in the butt. The toothpick trick, is that just heat the solder up and stick a toothpick in?