Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Shootout for Science, April 15th

Started by GrindCustoms, March 18, 2014, 08:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

John

aion

Hey Rej - shoot me your address via PM and I'll get a Refractor in the mail. I'm happy to donate to the cause :)

pickdropper

When you setup the recordings, I'd suggest using a Sound Level Meter to make sure everything is the same SPL; don't go by the settings on the knobs as the tolerances can vary quite a bit.

Different SPLs can result in a difference in perception by the listener.  In this case, it could also alter how the amp is being driven.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

JakeFuzz

Sorry I am late to the party once again! Rej, yes I have a kingslayer but it is irreversibly modified (or it would be very difficult to modify it back to the original circuit). I also have a Sunking with the same modifications. I have a stock Apis with LM313H clippers and an unpopulated Apis PCB. I also have a stock Soul Food. These tests are so easy to run I am just going to bring them all into my lab and test them. The more data the better right?  :D

So these tests are done without an amp; the inputs and outputs are connected directly into the spectrum analyzer or function generator. I am thinking of using fixed voltage dividers for at least volume and tone to eliminate having to use a pot which will need to be transferred between the circuits. I am going to fix the volume for the spectral sweeps (not impedance) simply because the high voltage swing of these circuits can overload the input of the spectrum analyzer. If it matters to anyone the spectrum analyzer is an SRS785, the LCR meter is an HP 4274A, the function generator is an Agilent 33120A and the scope will be an Agilent DSO-X 4202A.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: raulduke on April 16, 2014, 01:45:34 PM
My guess: they will sound damn near identical  ;)

Maybe a gnats bollocks difference between them (due to component tolerances etc.).

I think the more important factors for many DIY'ers is the form etc. for ease of building (PCB size, pcb mounted pots, jack locations, io location, component orientations etc.).

I'll be interested to read your findings though.

So the tolerance equation remains the same for the 3 main DIY Project tested, Chimaera, Refraktor and SunkingII all the components will be socketed, so the same are used on the 3, good idea from Pickdropper! 8)

Quote from: alanp on April 16, 2014, 08:23:54 AM
I used my Kingslayer for a few months in church.

Went back to the LaVache, with very careful use of the Cosmopolitan.

Agreed, you don't want to mess the setting on that one before actuating it... it could get change the whole vibe in the church i guess.... ;D

Quote from: JakeFuzz on April 16, 2014, 06:03:10 PM
Sorry I am late to the party once again! Rej, yes I have a kingslayer but it is irreversibly modified (or it would be very difficult to modify it back to the original circuit). I also have a Sunking with the same modifications. I have a stock Apis with LM313H clippers and an unpopulated Apis PCB. I also have a stock Soul Food. These tests are so easy to run I am just going to bring them all into my lab and test them. The more data the better right?  :D

So these tests are done without an amp; the inputs and outputs are connected directly into the spectrum analyzer or function generator. I am thinking of using fixed voltage dividers for at least volume and tone to eliminate having to use a pot which will need to be transferred between the circuits. I am going to fix the volume for the spectral sweeps (not impedance) simply because the high voltage swing of these circuits can overload the input of the spectrum analyzer. If it matters to anyone the spectrum analyzer is an SRS785, the LCR meter is an HP 4274A, the function generator is an Agilent 33120A and the scope will be an Agilent DSO-X 4202A.

That's also what i thought that would be the best way of doing it, just the pedals in stand alone.

I have to agree with most on this tho... it will likely all sound the same... but Science! ;D
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

DutchMF

Quote from: juansolo on April 16, 2014, 07:29:20 AM
Quote from: Tremster on April 16, 2014, 07:23:23 AM
Post your science results on TGP!

With the sheer amount of P&W players on there, any lack of discrepancy would only be attributed to the devils work...

Juan, didn't you have access to an original Klon? My mind could be playing tricks on me, so please correct me if I'm wrong..... And I have an extra Kingslayer board I'd be willing to donate to science. How could I have missed this thread for so long!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

GrindCustoms

Quote from: aion on April 16, 2014, 03:42:46 PM
Hey Rej - shoot me your address via PM and I'll get a Refractor in the mail. I'm happy to donate to the cause :)

I'll send you a PM in a few, but i'd likely get it shipped directly to Jake and i would also likely pay for the pcb. ;)

Once this whole thing is done, i think that the circuit used and a printed version of the results will ask to be framed for the lulz.

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

JakeFuzz

Ill buy the SKII board. I was planning on getting one anyway. Hey Rej what type of sockets do you have? The ones I have are from Tayda and wont hold components for more than 1-2 swaps. I am hoping someone has better sockets I can use so part aren't falling out all over the place during testing. As for framing that sounds like an excellent plan  ;D

GrindCustoms

Quote from: JakeFuzz on April 16, 2014, 06:54:36 PM
Ill buy the SKII board. I was planning on getting one anyway. Hey Rej what type of sockets do you have? The ones I have are from Tayda and wont hold components for more than 1-2 swaps. I am hoping someone has better sockets I can use so part aren't falling out all over the place during testing. As for framing that sounds like an excellent plan  ;D

I also have the Tayda at the moment... left overs from my past orders, but i'll likely do a Mouser order by the end of this week since i did'nt do it this weekend, will get some «machined» grade ones, for the IC aswell. Will ship to you upon reception with the Chimaera board.

JakeFuzz

Sounds good. I placed a Mouser order earlier this week for some amp stuff but totally forgot about getting sockets.

I think with fixed volume we may want to do 3 tone positions and 3 gain positions on each circuit for 9 points. We could also do 4 positions for 16 data points or potentially more but that might be overkill considering there is a good chance all three of the plots will be on top of one another. 

GrindCustoms

Quote from: JakeFuzz on April 17, 2014, 07:05:26 PM
Sounds good. I placed a Mouser order earlier this week for some amp stuff but totally forgot about getting sockets.

I think with fixed volume we may want to do 3 tone positions and 3 gain positions on each circuit for 9 points. We could also do 4 positions for 16 data points or potentially more but that might be overkill considering there is a good chance all three of the plots will be on top of one another.

3 positons for the pots should be good, the same 3 pots will be used for the DIY layouts, using their set resistance instead of eye balling the position should give a relatively precise reading through all of them.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: TNblueshawk on April 16, 2014, 02:22:17 PM
Quote from: Tremster on April 16, 2014, 07:23:23 AM
Post your science results on TGP!

+1 Rej !!

If someone is up to post the results on TGP it's all good, but i won't do it, because i don't have any Rep over there, and it kinds a make me happy! ;)