News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda... What's safe to buy there vs. what to avoid???

Started by Leevibe, March 18, 2014, 03:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: micromegas on August 26, 2014, 09:37:01 AM
Sorry to resurrect this thread.

Has anyone had a bad experience with Tayda's bjts like 2n3904 & 2N3906? They say those are Fairchild and I wanted to buy a bunch of them..

Those parts are so ubiquitous, I think it'd be very unlikely that you'll get a fake.  It is possible you'll get an out of spec part, but that's always the case with Tayda.

On the other hand, those parts are so cheap from places like Mouser, Digikey, Farnell, etc., why even bother with Tayda?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

muddyfox

Dude is not in the States or UK so shipping may be a concern?

I happen to know that there's Mouser within his reach but it still has a hefty minimum order to qualify for decent shipping.

Sorry, my personal demons... I cringe at every mention of Mouser, so much nice stuff there and so out of reach...  :'(

pickdropper

Quote from: muddyfox on August 26, 2014, 12:51:26 PM

Dude is not in the States or UK so shipping may be a concern?

I happen to know that there's Mouser within his reach but it still has a hefty minimum order to qualify for decent shipping.

Sorry, my personal demons... I cringe at every mention of Mouser, so much nice stuff there and so out of reach...  :'(

Yeah, I knew he wasn't in the US.  It's too bad Farnell doesn't ship to more areas.

eBay may actually be another reasonable option.  Some of the sellers out there have better quality than Tayda, of course it is somewhat luck of the draw.
Function f(x)

micromegas

Quote from: pickdropper on August 26, 2014, 12:48:10 PM

On the other hand, those parts are so cheap from places like Mouser, Digikey, Farnell, etc., why even bother with Tayda?

Mouser is not that cheap here in Spain, we have a 21% VAT and you need to make a big order to make it worth.

Plus I saw Tayda sells a pack of 50 2n3906 and 50 2n3904 for about 3$ on Ebay... with free shipping
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

pickdropper

Quote from: micromegas on August 26, 2014, 03:10:58 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on August 26, 2014, 12:48:10 PM

Yeah, that makes sense.  Are there any large electronics distributors that deal with Spain and have lower requirements?  Just curious.
Mouser is not that cheap here in Spain, we have a 21% VAT and you need to make a big order to make it worth.

Plus I saw Tayda sells a pack of 50 2n3906 and 50 2n3904 for about 3$ on Ebay... with free shipping
Function f(x)

micromegas

Quote from: pickdropper on August 26, 2014, 03:18:13 PM

Are there any large electronics distributors that deal with Spain and have lower requirements?  Just curious.

RS-components is what people use at my University, but price&shipping is not a concern for them...
Mouser works great and is cheap for larger quantities, but the 21% VAT is what kills us...

m-Kresol

I never went with mouser for quite the same reasons... Only large orders are cheap. I was thinking about getting some resistors in bulk (200 each), but the facts that I would never end up using many of them and that I get discount with our mechanic which makes them as cheap in lots of 10 made me give up on buying bulk.
Just not worth it for me.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

pickdropper

I wonder if it would be worth putting together a giant spreadsheet (google doc?) of all of the vendors that people use in various parts of the world. 
Function f(x)

m-Kresol

Don't get me wrong, I would use Mouser any time. They have quality parts and as I'm fully committed to the DIY hobby world now, I could also go for bigger amounts of parts. The reason I'm not doing it is only that I get great discount and free shipping via my workplace, which frankly just beats Mouser
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Stomptown

Has anyone had a bad experience with Tayda's bjts like 2n3904 & 2N3906? They say those are Fairchild and I wanted to buy a bunch of them..

Don't forget to check out Chromospheres store (DIY Guitar Pedal Shop). He is still working on building his inventory but the shipping is always super cheap and super quick! He currently has 2N3904s and 2N3926s so if you want reliability I would order with him. Plus he is a great guy and they are dirt cheap and $0.03 per transistor! Here is a link:

http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6

IMO Tayda is fine up until the point you decide to sell a pedal. If you think you may sell a build down the road or if you aspire to start a business selling pedals I would stay away from Tayda. They'll keep you up at night waiting for the dreaded "my pedal no longer works" email!

flanagan0718

Quote from: Stomptown on August 27, 2014, 02:58:54 AM

Don't forget to check out Chromospheres store (DIY Guitar Pedal Shop). He is still working on building his inventory but the shipping is always super cheap and super quick! He currently has 2N3904s and 2N3926s so if you want reliability I would order with him. Plus he is a great guy and they are dirt cheap and $0.03 per transistor! Here is a link:

http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6

IMO Tayda is fine up until the point you decide to sell a pedal. If you think you may sell a build down the road or if you aspire to start a business selling pedals I would stay away from Tayda. They'll keep you up at night waiting for the dreaded "my pedal no longer works" email!
+1 on this. I've ordered from him a few times now and it only took a few days to get to the states. He's got great prices on caps and resistors. Also some cool mojo stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chromesphere

Hey thanks for the vote of confidence guys! 

A bit of back story about my webstore.  I have changed my approach with the stock of late. When I originally set up the store my goal was to price compete with the big T. I have recently shifted gears and decided to focus on the quality and reliability of the stock instead of the price.  Trying to price compete with Tayda is a self destructive and, well, just plain dissatisfying endeavour.

I also personally find building with quality components to be more enjoyable.   Nice quality aluminium knobs, named brand components, etc.  I just end up with a more appealing pedal. Tayda have some good stuff don't get me wrong.  You just have to dig a little to find it.

Anyway, I wont go into my personal list do's and dont's with tayda stock I think that's been thoroughly covered. :D (batt snaps, sil sockets, most of the transistors, alpha pots, etc are fine imo).
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

micromegas

I've ordered from Paul before (many times) but didn't knew he had 2n3906 & 2n3904 in stock  :o.

Time to prepare another order... :)

teknoman2

I ve ordered some mn3008 chips from paul's store and everything was legit
and the shipping was too fast, if you think that he is sending them from Australia.
So Paul is one of the best way to go if you like for many reasons.
You get your stuff really quick and they are legit and also you helping a small bussiness to grow.

Willybomb

Paul is a godsend for Aussies, usually you get it the next day (and I love his wire).

Tayda is still only 7 days normally though so it's ok if you're not in a hurry.