News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

anyone deal with polida2008 on eBay?

Started by danwelsh, March 18, 2014, 12:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

They used to ship good MN3005 pulls. BUT if you get any DOAs then you're in for their returns process during which you MUST do it through eBay if you want a chance of getting a refund. They will make you jump through hoops and it will take weeks, but we did get a refund in the end. If you don't I suspect you can kiss your cash goodbye.

It was the final straw in the BBD thing for me. Either I build them with in-production ICs or I simply don't build them now. I've had good ICs from Polida, but I couldn't recommend them on the off chance you get a duffer, which seems highly probable these days as their practices in this dept are dubious to say the least.

Oh and for the photo, that's so they can say that it's not the IC that they shipped to you. That got our heckles up a little...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

chromesphere

Seems like I didn't need to waste that $3 you just confirmed it!  I didn't realise they were so dodgy, they have been on ebay for quite some time.  Hah, there you go.  I think I will avoid them in future.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

flanagan0718

I've had good luck with leemoom611. All 10 of the MN3007 chips I got from them worked. They have the 3208 ones you are looking for Dan. Here is a link.

http://stores.ebay.com/leemoom611/category947505010-/_i.html?_nkw=3208&submit=Search&_fsub=947505010&_sid=869081350

peAk

Quote from: chromesphere on March 19, 2014, 04:47:05 AM
Ok Dave you ask for it.  Here comes the story.

I recently received some dead chips from them.  I tested them didn't work.  Emailed them and said "their dead".  They wanted me to take a photo of the chips for some reason, I thought maybe to try and blame for not using ESD or something, so I did so, except i always use ESD protection when handling old chips, so that didnt work for them :D
They then asked "could you please pay $3 for shipping for the new chips, or send back the dead ones".  I laughed to myself thinking "not going to happen".  But then I thought about it.  We buy from this seller all the time, it might be worth the $3 to see if this seller is genuine or not, and then report the findings here.  So I paid the $3.  They said 'thanks but you will need to leave positive feedback before we can send the chips its important to us".  So again, I thought usually there is no way I would do this stuff, it just sounded so dodgy, but I went along with it as an experiment.  Left the feedback.  Then they said they would have to cancel the old order to make up for some of the $ or some bs like that.  Ok, went along with it.  I sent them an email "I have done everything you have asked will you send the chips now?" they said they sent them.  That was about 2-3 weeks ago, I don't expect to see anything from them but I was going to give them 4 weeks just to be sure.  But we all know, there will be no chips.

So, I invested $3 to get that information.  So its pretty safe to say THEY CAN NOT BE TRUSTED.  From this one post they will lose more the $3.  What a crappy way to do business with people.

Thanks for this story. I have thought about buying from this seller many times but will not now after reading this. ...but do update this post if your new good chips arrive  ;)

chromesphere

Clayford

No.
No.
No.
No.
No.

I did up the chorus layout from Tonepad with their 3101/3007 5pack. Not a single combo chorused. They blamed my etch. SB set popped right in and fired right up a week later. Ebay gave me my money back and removed their vile feedback from my profile.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

chromesphere

I knew the day after I flamed the guy THE REPLACEMENT CHIPS WOULD SHOW UP!!!  Im seriously amazed he sent them...The hoops he made me jump through were endless...

Regardless I wouldn't recommend going about a refund the way I did for any ebay seller (use the dispute resolution process) and im still not totally convinced this guy is trustworthy, anyway, there you go!

Clayford

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

jmwreck

I've dealt with them twice, 1st was a mess. I ordered but didn't receive the item, I left a negative feedback but they said they can refund me if I change it to positive, I did it and there were no more communications afterwards, lucky for them the 45 days from paypal was over. 2nd order was an accident, I haven't noticed the seller and I've clicked pay now. this time, I'm lucky I've got the item.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

electrosonic

Just realized I bought  my sa571's off this seller. Was shipped Mar 6th. We'll see how it goes.

Andrew.       

GermanCdn

Yeah, you have to be really careful on the 45 day thing with them, they are really good at stringing you along until the recourse period has passed.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Scruffie

I haven't actually tested them but I actually got Polida to send me a replacement batch of MN3007 after the first lot never turned up and after the 45 day paypal period, I too took the 'risk' of seeing if they'd actually pay up and closed my case before it was resolved and they did come through. The language barrier did make it a little difficult to get them to concede and they did make me wait an extra 2 weeks to see if they'd arrive but I think it was about 10 messages in total to getting it resolved.

The asking for extra shipping outside of ebay while annoying, is only a small amount ($3.50) and they do send it as tracked mail instead of regular so that's something, seems to show up a bit faster that way too.

I notice pretty much all BBDs now seem to come re-labelled, real or not... annoying.

Anyway, yeah they're a bit of a pain and I wouldn't exactly trust them but if you want to get the part cheaply, it's the price you pay... just keep orders small.
Works at Lectric-FX

Govmnt_Lacky

It doesn't take rocket science to know that if they are underpriced.... they are fakes!

A lot of the listings for these BBDs are listed as "New..Unused" Now, seeing as the 3008s, 3005s, etc. have been out of production for some time now.... it only stands to reason that they are re-labels and a crap shoot as to whether or not they will work.

In the end, I suppose you can roll the dice with ANY eBay seller for BBDs -OR- you can pay the piper and get known good pieces from another forum member, smallbear, etc.

I was tempted ONCE to get some from polida2008. After a few eBay messages and a reponse to the likes of "You bad buyer. You find another dealer to buy from!" I decided it was not the way to go. This was in response to me asking them how they test their BBDs (as they claim they are ALL tested) and how they know they will have the proper delay.  :-\

electrosonic

Yeah, you have to be really careful on the 45 day thing with them, they are really good at stringing you along until the recourse period has passed.

Ok so mark my calendar and make sure I have good ICs in my possession with the 45 day period.

I would be out only about $8 if it doesn't work out - but I am amazed how they manage to work the system to maintain such a high rating as a seller.

Andrew.

Scruffie

I think you're likely to get the items at least labelled as the part you ordered, the ratings probably come from people getting the parts and not testing them before leaving feedback, i've also noticed although it may be coincidence normally when I order a small quantity of parts for the first time I get clearly legit ones and then on repeat larger orders I get relabeled parts... while they were legit, I wonder if they do run that as a system in a 'samples' sort of manner and people who order in bulk for businesses likely go on the assumption that if the samples were legit...

I think they most likely sell a lot of legit items too, just not the rare stuff we want so a lot of people get their stuff completely fine and at high sale quantities, the ratings are going to show that.

Finally, I think they probably contest a lot of negative feedback and to be fair, they probably can legitimately, the DIY community is in part probably guilty for their reluctance to issue refunds from people sticking parts in a dead pedal or untested/verified DIY project and declaring 'broken' because it didn't fire up as the assumption is usually the most expensive and rare part is the culprit when it may be the part is fine or there was some user error.

I don't think it's as cut and dry as some people like to make it and i'm afraid I have to disagree with some of Govmnt_Lacky's points in that regard.
Works at Lectric-FX