News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

input potentiometer wiring?

Started by aran.e666, March 17, 2014, 10:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aran.e666

So I have noticed many of the schematics of guitar pedals say 1&2 (3 goes to input). I dont get it as there is only 1 input wire on the vero board so how is there a way of wiring up the input? Any ideas will help alot. Thanks
Guitar is love, guitar is life.

raven174us

Jason

muddyfox

EDIT: OK I see what you mean

aran.e666

Yeah I know but the input goes to 3 on the other so where does the input wire go To wire up the switch etc. Thanks

aran.e666

Well on the schematic why does it say input to lug 3 at the bottom?

muddyfox

It is kinda strange. I'd connect depth3 to both green board input wire and the actual input wire (jack or 3pdt).

midwayfair

Once again:

schematic
of
the
pedal
you
are
discussing

For one thing, you'll probably find the answer to your question on the schematic.

For another thing, no one wants to have to back-trace a vero layout.

If you don't know how to read schematics, go read this:
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/SchematicToReality/

If you don't understand the notes on the layout you posted, it's from Tagboard effects, and there are multiple links at the top of their page that detail their notation and the offboard wiring.

aran.e666

rullywowr

Quote from: aran.e666 on March 17, 2014, 10:20:54 PM
Top of the page...

I think Jon was politely suggesting you post the actual schematic and not the Vero layout...

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

muddyfox

Alright, lemme help a guy out...

So indeed, input goes directly to lug3 and to 47k.

Thomas_H

I am trying to get this done.

1st:  the schematic and the vero do not match 100% as D1 and D2 names are switched.
2nd: in the schematic there is a switched power supply via the input jack which needs to be wired offboard if you want it.
3rd: usually with veroboard effects there is a lot of offboard wiring that needs to be done as it would not make much sense to do do a lug1&lug2 pot connection by using two separate wires to the board at the same position. Instead only one wire is used and the connection is made directly at the pot using a jumper wire.
In addition to that if the connection goes to ground or a jack it is also wired directly, not via the board.
4th: the true-bypass wiring is always to be done offboard.
5th: read the notes on the vero board layout carefully as they direct you which connections to the board need to go elsewhere. For example the input is to be wired to the input jack AND to lug3 of the depth pot.
6th. It is hard to understand your initial question as the input pot in this circuit is a depth pot controlling a special parameter of the effect. Your reference to as this is common with a lot of other effects is misleading because thats not true.
7th: as you may have noticed (also from the other topics you have opened here) electronics is not just connecting wire A to point A on the board and something just happens. If you really want to understand this you need to go deeper and learn what a resistor is and how it functions as well as all the other parts.
Only then you will gather the knowledge to understand whats going on.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

aran.e666

Thanks guys! Ok so im going to try to wire the input up by connecting the input wire to lug 3 then connect a wire coming from the pots lug 3 to the 3pdt.  Thanks