News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Does anyone have a smooth shaft Alpha from Smallbear & Tayda to compare?

Started by midwayfair, March 16, 2014, 08:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

They're both listed as Alpha, I just want to know if they're the same thing.

dondougie

The Tayda solder lug Alpha pots are definitely made from a different/cheaper material. They seem to use the same base as their knurled shaft Alphas, e.g. different nut, the brown part is made from a lighter material, plus they have the plastic cover.

The PCB mounted pots are the same as everywhere else though.

midwayfair

Quote from: DonDougie on March 16, 2014, 08:29:53 PM
The Tayda solder lug Alpha pots are definitely made from a different/cheaper material. They seem to use the same base as their knurled shaft Alphas, e.g. different nut, the brown part is made from a lighter material, plus they have the plastic cover.

The PCB mounted pots are the same as everywhere else though.

Interesting. I like the SB ones and prefer how they feel compared with the split shaft ones, so I think I'll stick with SB despite the price. Thanks!

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

peAk

I have some from both and prefer smallbears. Some of the ones I got from Tayda were already scratchy and/or had non-smooth rotation. That being said, the price was less than half so I wasn't upset. 

Stomptown

I recently got some of the right angle PCB mount pots from tayda and the first thing I noticed is that the PCB mount pins are not all parallel and look out if alignment. It got me to thinking that maybe they are B-stock. I didn't compare to see how smooth they were in comparison. I'd rather have the assurance orovuded by small bear than the uncertainty with tayda. I'll buy some stuff there but I don't think I will buy these again.

blearyeyes

They get mushed up during shipment..the issue I have with all the vendors is none of them have every pot that I need. Tayda is cheaper but.. Mammoth has different units that I need at over twice the price, small bear has some...sheesh I want to open a shop with ALL THE STUFF WE NEED ALL THE TIME... OK so I'm a dreamer.....

Stomptown

I have a hard time trusting Tayda. If a deal sounds too good to be true...

Regardless, I decided to put my bias aside and see how the Tayda Alphas compared. I only tested the right angle 16mm PCB mount so I can't comment on other pots. What I can say is they feel just as smooth as the ones from Small Bear. Occasionally I came across a pot that was not as smooth as the rest but some of these were from tayda and some from small bear. I also checked the resistance on about 20 Tayda pots and they were all within tolerance (I think tolerance is 20% but these were all within 10% of expected value). I do think they are the same thing! Now if only they had all the typical values...

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 17, 2014, 04:07:31 AM
They get mushed up during shipment..

Your probably right. I tend to scrutinize my Tayda orders a bit more than others...

jkokura

One thing I wish Smallbear did was group the pots and allow for the item discounts on the pots. I hate that the price break kicks in at X pots, when I might need 20 of the B taper, and 10 of the C taper, and 30 of the A taper... I'd like to get the 50 pot price break because I'm getting 60 pots, not the 10/25 pot price break on each type.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

Quote from: jkokura on March 17, 2014, 06:17:15 AM
One thing I wish Smallbear did was group the pots and allow for the item discounts on the pots. I hate that the price break kicks in at X pots, when I might need 20 of the B taper, and 10 of the C taper, and 30 of the A taper... I'd like to get the 50 pot price break because I'm getting 60 pots, not the 10/25 pot price break on each type.

Jacob

You'll get that on A and B tapers.

Bleary Eyes: I'm pretty sure Smallbear carries every pot value and taper I've ever seen used in a guitar pedal and then some.

Stomptown, thanks for the honest comparison. I did end up going with Smallbear for the pots, but it's good to know that the Tayda pots will be mostly indistinguishable in the future if I need one of the most common values and I'm ordering from them.

peAk

just wanted to add that the last large pot order I received from Tayda had some B10K pots with dentents which I didn't order any with.

Not a huge deal but just a little FYI

timbo_93631

I find the Alpha solder lug pots from Tayda are consistently stiffer to turn, which you may or may not like and the shafts are slightly smaller in diameter than Alphas from SB, Mammoth, PPP etc.  The nut is different as has been mentioned above, and the plastic covers.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

blearyeyes

Quote from: midwayfair on March 17, 2014, 12:20:49 PM
Bleary Eyes: I'm pretty sure Smallbear carries every pot value and taper I've ever seen used in a guitar pedal and then some.

I know..... I'm all for spending more for better quality but I'm not seeing over twice the quality if any difference at all. Still I like the idea of supporting the community...