News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tips or help with a graphic.

Started by haveyouseenhim, March 16, 2014, 04:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveyouseenhim

Lately I have been trying to learn how to use inkscape. I have learned a ton in the last few days such as how to use trace bitmap and editing nodes etc. So now I wanted to give a go at etching an enclosure for a current lover and this is what I have come up with so far.

My question is how can I clean this up a bit more? The lines aren't squared up like I would like. I tried editing nodes for a while and it only got me so far.   Any suggestions or anyone willing to help? I can email the files if someone wants to help.

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

bcalla

I'd be willing to try - I use Inkscape a lot - but I'm not sure what you want improved in this graphic.

One thing might be to either left justify or center justify each text line.

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: bcalla on March 16, 2014, 05:22:33 PM
I'd be willing to try - I use Inkscape a lot - but I'm not sure what you want improved in this graphic.

One thing might be to either left justify or center justify each text line.

You'll see what I'm talking about when you look at it in inkscape. It looks cleaner in my post than it actually is.

I don't know what that is    :-[

davent

Just watched this one on aligning (left/center/right justify) in Inkscape, i had no idea.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

haveyouseenhim

That could come in handy, but I'm not using 'text'.

I found a straight on picture of an electric mistress and imported it to inkscape, then used the 'trace bitmap' function. Them I adjusted the nodes a bit to clean it up, but then hit a wall with getting it as clean as I wanted.

Clayford

And therein lies your issue. Cleaning up Vector images that you've started with a regular lossy format is always a PITA. You might be better off with starting from scratch. It can be done, I managed to get a rather decent BMP image together for my own Muff.

The electric mistress type appears to be modified from Decoro which is a commercial typeface. You might be able to locate a similar one on whatthefont and adjust as needed in Illustrator/Inkscape  You might also want this Medusa typeface as well. Best of luck on it.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

bcalla

Mike, looking at your file I was going to tell you that it looks like you grouped everything together and then rotated it a few degrees clockwise.  Makes more sense to read that you made this from an imported graphic.  I agree with Clayford, this is easier to do when you build something from scratch.  If you really want to salvage what you have, I would suggest drawing a vertical line on the left edge of your graphic, then rotate it ccw until the left side of the graphic is parallel to the line.  You could do the same with a horizontal line across the middle of either 'electric' or 'mistress'.  The result may be satisfactory to you.

haveyouseenhim

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to take Clay's advice and start from scratch. I just need to figure out how to modify the decoro font.

haveyouseenhim

Good news. I got a really nice result using ms paint to clean up the lines and square the image.

Clayford

It's easy to modify, just takes some time. I did this from memory in about 20 min. It's "wrong" but it will show you how easy it is to get close with a tiny bit of work

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Clayford on March 17, 2014, 02:44:05 AM
It's "wrong" but it will show you how easy it is to get close with a tiny bit of work

It's not lack of work. It's just total ignorance of imaging programs besides ms paint. I have used ms paint my whole life until about a month ago. So using something this much more complicated isn't easy for me.   I don't understand a lot of the terminology, but I'm learning.

Clayford

oy. If that came out condescending, I'm really sorry. Totally not meant that way. I forget the steep learning curve that's involved with adobe products.

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Clayford on March 17, 2014, 03:27:51 AM
oy. If that came out condescending, I'm really sorry. Totally not meant that way. I forget the steep learning curve that's involved with adobe products.

It didn't. I just wanted to explain why I'm having trouble. We're good here  :)

haveyouseenhim