News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PhotoShop

Started by sdlogan9, March 16, 2014, 03:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlogan9

Hey Guys

I am going to buy Photoshop but I am a little confused of what version will provide the minimum functions I will need to cover all my pedal building needs.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

-Shane

muddyfox

You don't need to buy photoshop. There's a cs2 version available as a free download from adobe that has everything you'll ever need for pedal design and more.

sent from my mobile device

sdlogan9

Will c2 do vectors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickdropper

Photoshop is not a vector based program.  For that, you want Illustrator.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

slimtriggers

Check out Gimp and Inkscape if you haven't already. 

Both are free and can do anything you need for pedal graphics  ;)

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: slimtriggers on March 16, 2014, 03:48:44 PM

This, but neither is much fun on a Mac due to the X11 engine and emulation. Or maybe I missed something along the way.

Jonathan

RobA

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on March 16, 2014, 03:51:33 PM

Quote from: slimtriggers on March 16, 2014, 03:48:44 PM

This, but neither is much fun on a Mac due to the X11 engine and emulation. Or maybe I missed something along the way.

Both of their interfaces are a bit painful, it's not so much the X11 though as it is the design choices. Still, they can be really useful and they are free. Personally I hate Photoshop's UI too.

If you are on a Mac, check out Pixelmator http://www.pixelmator.com. It's mainly a photo editing application, but it has added in some vector based capabilities in the newer version. The UI is really nice to work with.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Jabulani Jonny

+1 for Pixelmator.

Jonathan

juansolo

I only use Photoshop because I used it in the past and am too lazy to learn something else. I strongly advise using something else...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Stomptown

Illustrator is great but not very user friendly. There is a steep learning curve...

Clayford

Correct on all accounts - Photoshop is NOT the program you want. Sadly it's what I use. I have a long sordid, clingy, co-dependant, manic, love-hate relationship with it due to photography.

Illustrator , Inkskape these are the tools you need. Elegant programs for a more digitized age.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=adobe+cs2+download

As previously noted some discontinued big A products are legitimately available for free if you look in the right places, and they are "all you'll ever need". A is quite well aware there have been 6 times as many copies downloaded as were ever sold. It was a very heavily pirated windows program (MAC CS2 wasn't subject to the protection that Win users were) and they have semi recently closed down the activation servers.There's an option to download the whole mess there, after you "promise" you have original keys to "honestly" download the "new" activation-less versions with the provided keys on the website. Install them to a modern OS in admin mode and run them in such. DO NOT install them into "default" directories. x:\ad0be is my suggested location to install them, in admin mode, and run them as admin. I've been working with CS2 since XP and fighting with the big A when Vista was released a year after CS2 and "Not Supported, you'll need to buy CS3"   Microsoft's virtual directory system confuses the absolute shit out of you and the program. "I know I just saved them on my pictures... " Did you ? or are they sitting in a virtual directory somewhere ... save yourself the hassle.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

muddyfox

I use photoshop because thats what ive been using for decades. I havent encountered anything in my pedal labeling that I couldnt do in photoshop.
If you need vectors (i dont), go elsewhere. People praise inkscape, I gave it a shot but found it too confusing and limited in some ways (did they finally put a ruler tool in there?) but thats probably just me being stuck in my bitmap ways.

sent from my mobile device

electrosonic

I use iDraw for the mac - it's kind of a simplified Illustrator (vector based drawing program).

Does what I need for laying out graphics, fewer features than Illustrator, but that makes is easier to learn.

$25 for the mac  and there is a $9 ipad version.

Andrew.

madbean

Photoshop is more than enough for DIY pedal making, IMO. Unless you are using your artwork as a basis for some kinda CNC work, raster graphics are just fine. The bigger limitation is the resolution of your printer. If your printer is capable of 600-1200 DPI then you should have no problem using PS for graphics. For labels, I generally work at 1200DPI. For etching, usually 600DPI.

peAk

I use Corel Draw & Corel Photo, I find both user friendly