News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

gain control?

Started by aran.e666, March 14, 2014, 05:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aran.e666

Ok so I just finished making my lovepedal woodrow which sounds awesome but I think I need to add a gain control ( with more overall distortion). So I know how to build a tone control but I cant find any schematics anywhere on how to make a gain control. If anyone knows and could send me a wiring diagran that would be great.  Thanks guys  :D
Guitar is love, guitar is life.

Thomas_H

The Electra Distortion (Woodrow if you wish) is a very basic circuit. If you like to have more volume at the output you need to add something like a LBP-1 after the clipping diodes. This will give more output (not more gain).
DIY-PCBs and projects:

Tremster

aran.e666

Thanks for the help. Could I add pone to this version ?????

midwayfair

I goggled "Lovepedal Woodrow schematic" and found a dozen images for the schematic. When you discuss a circuit for modification, please post the layout and schematic you built from. Otherwise we might be talking about different things.

Anyway, simplest way: remove the 330R from the emitter of the transistor. Replace it with a 1KC pot. Done. This gain pot will make a scratching noise when you move it. That's bad. We can do better.

If you want to make a better gain control, instead connect the pot as follows:

1: Connects to ground.
2: Connects to the + side of the 47uF capacitor. The other (negative) side of the capacitor connects to ground.
3: Connects to the transistor's emitter.

This is the gain control in a fuzz face. There is a constant 1K of resistance between the emitter and ground. At fully CCW, lugs 2 and 3 are shorted, so the 47uF capacitor is also out of the circuit. As you turn the pot CW, the cap moves toward the emitter and the AC gain for all frequencies above something like 50Hz are increased.

aran.e666

Sweet man. But also when I play for example an Eminor chord the pedal kind of makes a high noise and it goes sloghtly quiet. If you dont know what I mean I could try and send a sound sample :)

aran.e666

Also, where the ground connects to the pot on the gain control, could I wire the grount to the ground on the volume pot or would that not work

aran.e666

So another quick question.  Would this work for a volume only for the bypass as I want a separate volume for the effect.

aran.e666

Im not even going to ask. The picture is ypside down looooool ok il re send it lol

aran.e666