News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Epcos box caps?

Started by Leevibe, March 14, 2014, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: aballen on March 18, 2014, 01:38:57 AM
Honestly I've gotten a lot of kemets with smudged lettering on them never had that with EPCOS.  That pretty much switched me to EPCOS.

Probably because it's harder to smudge laser etching than pad printing.  :-)

But yeah, I like EPCOS better as well.  They look nicer, which of course is what sounds best.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

most of the epcos I get are stamped so that's pretty much impossible for those.  I think I've had printed epcos as well, but like you said, no smudging. 

Edit: Ahhh Dave!  Laser etched...of course :D

Oh man, im going to have to take a photo of the arcotronic cap I got from tayda a few months ago when I get home.  I think I kept it.  It will make you question the QC of both companies, its pretty funny!
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

rullywowr

I got a cap from Tayda that was double engraved with two diff values.  Shocking, I know

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

pickdropper

Quote from: chromesphere on March 18, 2014, 01:44:02 AM
most of the epcos I get are stamped so that's pretty much impossible for those.  I think I've had printed epcos as well, but like you said, no smudging. 

Edit: Ahhh Dave!  Laser etched...of course :D

Oh man, im going to have to take a photo of the arcotronic cap I got from tayda a few months ago when I get home.  I think I kept it.  It will make you question the QC of both companies, its pretty funny!

"Tayda: selling mostly usable parts since 2009."   ;D
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

This seems like the topic to post a photo of this cap.  Its from tayda.  Probably still works, I actually haven't tested it. I dont know why I even hung onto it.  For a laugh?

Oh I have a question.  If tropical fish have mojo, how much mojo does a 1 legged tropic fish have!?  Have a look at that sucker! 
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Leevibe

That's for asymmetrical... hmm. Yeah, I'm stumped.

Cortexturizer

If you can get em, do try Evox Rifa caps. I used them on some builds and had a fantastic sound that was uber smooth without loosing highs and very veeery accentuated in mids. Really, I built a couple of zendrives like a couple of years ago, and while everything else was identical, the one with these caps sounded the best and had the smoothest and middiest sound.

As to the "look" of caps, I constantly buy styroflex, and I am not sure I love how they sound...
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Leevibe

Quote from: Cortexturizer on March 26, 2014, 06:50:01 AM
If you can get em, do try Evox Rifa caps. I used them on some builds and had a fantastic sound that was uber smooth without loosing highs and very veeery accentuated in mids. Really, I built a couple of zendrives like a couple of years ago, and while everything else was identical, the one with these caps sounded the best and had the smoothest and middiest sound.

As to the "look" of caps, I constantly buy styroflex, and I am not sure I love how they sound...

Three questions about the styroflex:

- is that styro as in polystyrene?
- did you measure to see if the values were close to the others?
- did you use them throughout the circuit or in certain places only?

I've thought about putting styrenes in as smoothing caps in my OD. Mic cloners swear by them as being essential in certain applications. I think ill socket the next build and give them a go. Plus I think they're gorgeous.