News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Epcos box caps?

Started by Leevibe, March 14, 2014, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

No worries thanks again I had them listed on my store as Panasonic as well :P lol whoops

Hey Lee, what do you mean they are going away?  Are the ECQ's going obsolete or something!!?  (has heart attack).  I like these the best they are even smaller then box caps and aesthetically nice looking as well.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Leevibe

That was my understanding but I've been known to be wrong.

chromesphere

Hmm...maybe ill stock up!?  (sad face)

mattlee0037

Quote from: chromesphere on March 14, 2014, 01:42:01 AM
Epcos are made by Panasonic.  I like them.  When I price them on my store I have to try and keep them inline with The Big T.  The way I see it, if they are the same price as the arcotronics that "the big t" sells (USD -> AUD approx. the same cost) then they will be more tempting to buy the epcos's from my store which has worked for me so far.  Of course, I don't have all the values :(  I would like to eventually stock a larger range of both the ECQV's and Epcos's as I really don't think there is much need for any other capacitor beside these 2.
http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12_13
Paul

One day I'm gonna save up and do a bulk buy at your shop of caps resistors and lumbergs. You just have everything I need at a great price.

Leevibe

Quote from: chromesphere on March 14, 2014, 02:26:45 AM
Hmm...maybe ill stock up!?  (sad face)

I would love to be wrong! They don't just look good. They look delicious!!

Stomptown

Quote from: Leevibe on March 14, 2014, 02:13:54 AM
Quote from: Stomptown on March 14, 2014, 02:12:18 AM
I'm all about the Panasonic film caps for aesthetic reasons. I've used epcos/arcotronics/kemet and they are all fine, but I agree that performance wise a cap is a cap. Those burgandy films just do it for me. I have Juansolo and all of his awesome builds to thank for my addiction! Luckily they are pretty cheap in bulk...
Can't argue Jon. I wish they weren't going away!!

tHAT IS WHY i'M STOCKING UP LIKE CRAZY!  :P

gjcamann

Quote from: chromesphere on March 14, 2014, 01:52:32 AM
up to 50 grams is $3.00 (untracked).  If all your buying is caps, you can get quite a few for $3.00.  :D

Really? I'll have to give you a try next time. I never bothered checking your store out because I thought shipping would be a killer. I think your shipping may be cheaper than small bear - and I live in the same state!

pickdropper

Panasonics are my favorite as well, followed by EPCOS.

I don't see anything about them being discontinued on Panasonic's website.  Am I missing something?

Here is their list of discontinued products:

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/electronic-components/tertiary-navigation/product-information/discontinuation-notices.aspx
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

Thanks guys.  I post untracked and have 'select' (small & light) guitar pedal related parts so I can post it cheaply.  Without all the sales I get from the US I wouldn't have a store put it that way :D So this is the only way to go

Hoping those Panasonics aren't obsolete as well pickdropper  :'(

Paul

lincolnic

ECQ-Bs were discontinued around 2009/2010 - ECQ-V is the replacement line, very much in production as far as I know.

Stomptown

I can't find anything that suggests they are obsolete either! I did hear that somewhere a long time ago but I think there is just some confusion out there because of the ECQ-B's and other lines that were discontinued. It is a bummer that the ECQ-V's only go down to 10mF though. Does anyone know if the Topomay caps that look like the Panasonics are still available in bulk (other than small bear)? If so I would like to stock up on the values below 10mF so I can get that consistent look...

lincolnic

Quote from: Stomptown on March 14, 2014, 03:18:01 AM
I can't find anything that suggests they are obsolete either! I did hear that somewhere a long time ago but I think there is just some confusion out there because of the ECQ-B's and other lines that were discontinued. It is a bummer that the ECQ-V's only go down to 10uF though. Does anyone know if the Topomay caps that look like the Panasonics are still available in bulk (other than small bear)? If so I would like to stock up on the values below 10uF so I can get that consistent look...

I think you might be thinking of a different line? ECQ-Vs are film caps, not electros. I got a bunch of them in my last Mouser order.

pickdropper

Quote from: lincolnic on March 14, 2014, 03:13:09 AM
ECQ-Bs were discontinued around 2009/2010 - ECQ-V is the replacement line, very much in production as far as I know.

That was my understanding as well.

I like the V series better, too.  Most are lower profile than the Bs.

Agree with Stomptown about the values, though.  Wish they went down below 10n.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Stomptown

Quote from: lincolnic on March 14, 2014, 03:20:01 AM
Quote from: Stomptown on March 14, 2014, 03:18:01 AM
I can't find anything that suggests they are obsolete either! I did hear that somewhere a long time ago but I think there is just some confusion out there because of the ECQ-B's and other lines that were discontinued. It is a bummer that the ECQ-V's only go down to 10uF though. Does anyone know if the Topomay caps that look like the Panasonics are still available in bulk (other than small bear)? If so I would like to stock up on the values below 10uF so I can get that consistent look...

I think you might be thinking of a different line? ECQ-Vs are film caps, not electros. I got a bunch of them in my last Mouser order.
I meant mF!  ;D

Leevibe

Quote from: lincolnic on March 14, 2014, 03:13:09 AM

OK, well that makes me happy. I think I had those as being the same in my mind.

Now I'm more conflicted though because I like both styles but I kind of want to go one way or the other and the boxes just edge out the panasonics a little bit for some reason.