4 layer = new goop? A TGP discussion...

Started by LaceSensor, March 13, 2014, 09:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Interesting thread here.
Its something I have thought about before

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1403534

Some comments from builders / companies, and I added my british 2p to the mix
Im all for 4 layers from a protecting IP perspective, and more power to the people who can make those designs.
Ive found in my limited experience that the dudes making 4 layer PCBs are the ones most willing to explain how their pedals function anyway! and give hints on schems.

Your 2p ?

raulduke

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 13, 2014, 09:52:42 AM
Interesting thread here.
Its something I have thought about before

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1403534

Some comments from builders / companies, and I added my british 2p to the mix
Im all for 4 layers from a protecting IP perspective, and more power to the people who can make those designs.
Ive found in my limited experience that the dudes making 4 layer PCBs are the ones most willing to explain how their pedals function anyway! and give hints on schems.

Your 2p ?

If I were in the game fully, then there is no doubt I would go 4 layer. The complexity when doing the layout is no different (in fact its easier).

The cost increase over 2 layer is prohibitive though. Depends how strongly you want to retain your IP from cloning I guess.

In short: 4 layer = Win.

pickdropper

I've done some 4-layer board layouts and it can be really useful from both a layout and performance standpoint. 

4-layer boards get reverse engineered on a daily basis, so they don't really offer any inherent protection, they are just a bit more work.  I don't think I'd want to reverse engineer an 8 or 10 layer board, but that's happened, too.

4-layer boards are indeed more expensive, which can be a deterrent.  Usually, the assumption is that the board cost doubles with twice as many layers, but last time I checked, it was a bit better than that. If the production lots get large enough, it tends to be less of an issue.

If you want to protect your design, the better bet is doing something like Bogner did and encapsulate entire modules and have them interface with your circuit via pins.  But that won't guarantee protection, either.  Integrated circuits are encapsulated and those still get reverse engineered. 

If there is enough money to be made, people will find out how you are making it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

4 layers is just as effective as goop in terms of "protecting IP".
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

juansolo

The thing is, the ones likely to be doing the gooping are not the ones with anything worth protecting. Not to mention they're unlikely to go to the effort to do a layout for a circuit when they can just buy a MB or a Joyo and spooge all over it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on March 13, 2014, 06:43:36 PM
4 layers is just as effective as goop in terms of "protecting IP".

I think a better way would be embedded caps and resistors.  It would be traceable, but it could take a bit longer.

It would certainly cost a lot more, however.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper