News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Collosalus!

Started by slimtriggers, March 12, 2014, 08:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimtriggers

Finally finished this up.  It's getting an annoying high pitched whine at the moment.  I'll have to trouble shoot and adjust trimmers more sometime when the wife's at work.  She doesn't have a lot of patience for my guitar noises to begin with.   :D

Doesn't really look that grungy in real life.  It's more of a dark gray.  I painted it with a red candy at first, but it didn't turn out like I wanted.  Stripped it off, and just went with the plain metal look.

Sounds pretty good except for the whine.   

Thomas_H

I like the blank stripes a lot.
A fine and clean build.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

davent

Looks great in monochrome, stately and very classy!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

That looks great, rumor has it, running it at 12 or 15 volts will get rid of the whine.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GrindCustoms

Looking good!

Quote from: jimilee on March 13, 2014, 12:08:17 AM
That looks great, rumor has it, running it at 12 or 15 volts will get rid of the whine.

It already runs at 15V with the onboard charge pump and VReg, if you want to get rid of the wine, don't do like me, read the build doc info correctly.

Can't recall exactly wich diode, but in the charge pump setup, the 2 1N4001 that sums the two 9Volts to make 18v, swap them for Schotky type diodes, used 1N60 in mine and got rid of the whinning, sounds awesome.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

bcalla

Nice finish, I really like it.

slimtriggers

Thanks guys  8)

Yeah, Rej, I used the 5817 diodes and 100uf cap per suggested mods in the build report, but it whines anyway.  It could be my 1 Spot, though.  When I get a chance I'm gonna try another wall wart I have.  Maybe try 12volt.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: slimtriggers on March 15, 2014, 01:36:11 AM
Thanks guys  8)

Yeah, Rej, I used the 5817 diodes and 100uf cap per suggested mods in the build report, but it whines anyway.  It could be my 1 Spot, though.  When I get a chance I'm gonna try another wall wart I have.  Maybe try 12volt.

Did you tried it with a battery? It would be the most accurate verification you could do.

That is something i always keep handy, a battery snap with a 2.1mm plug at is end, it never lies.

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

alanp

That is a very nice finish :)

My collosalus whines with the mods, as well. One day, when I have insomnia, nothing to do, and no alcohol, I might experiment with the clock capacitor.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GrindCustoms

Quote from: alanp on March 15, 2014, 02:20:00 AM
That is a very nice finish :)

My collosalus whines with the mods, as well. One day, when I have insomnia, nothing to do, and no alcohol, I might experiment with the clock capacitor.

1N5817-18-19 you have in there? That is what i use in my other charge pump equiped circuits, but they are not «clocked» effect, mostly dirt.

When i first built my Collosalus, i played with that high value cap, yes it was reducing it, but until i swapped both diodes for 1N60 it was still there. Once i swapped, i came back to the original suggested cap value and everything was running perfectly.

dondougie

Mine has the wine with all the mods, but a 12V suppy got rid of it. Sounds great now!

slimtriggers

Yes, 12v seems to be the answer!  I need a better 12v psu, though.  This one's pretty noisy, and there's still a very faint whine.  But it's MUCH better 8)