News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BLMS... dislike the name, like the guy

Started by jkokura, March 12, 2014, 07:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

Clearly there was never any malice on his behalf when he did it, and if it affects his bottom line, that's his measured risk I guess.  That being said, I am sure he loses some % of sales just due to the fact that most workplace internet filters will block his site based on the name (cause face it, a lot of us put in orders at work, when we should be doing other things).

I'll draw a corrollary to the amp world - when Egnater released the Tweaker, one of the more common comments you'd see was "Nice amp, terrible name idea", and truthfully it was, though it was most likely a complete oversight by their marketing department.  That being said, they still make them, and a pile of us own them, present company included.  Same goes for the Jenna Jameson Jackson guitar series, great idea, but you don't see a pile of married guys with them now, do you?
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

selfdestroyer

I have read through this thread and I have yet to see (If I missed it I am sorry) what I think "Bitches love my switches" really means. Growing up in the era of gangster rap it was always said in regard to how much the girls love my hydraulic switches in my car.

Gangster version: Bitches be lovin my switches.
Translated: These beautiful individuals love the toggle switches I have in my car to control the high powered hydraulics to make the front of my motor vehicle bounce vertically.

Im sure the translated domain was not available.

The quote has been used in countless songs one way or another by NWA and solo stuff by Dre and Ice Cube ect... So growing up in that time era, I do find it as a funny quote and thats why I posted that it did not bother me, I just don't this all people see it this way. I agree that it may just be limiting his customer base.

Cody

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on March 14, 2014, 08:35:50 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on March 14, 2014, 08:31:18 PM
Well, if he ever starts selling another company that sells picks, he won't have a difficult time naming it.  :-)

Hicks Love My Picks?

That would be the custom line of Banjo picks.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 15, 2014, 04:06:47 AM
I have read through this thread and I have yet to see (If I missed it I am sorry) what I think "Bitches love my switches" really means. Growing up in the era of gangster rap it was always said in regard to how much the girls love my hydraulic switches in my car.

Gangster version: Bitches be lovin my switches.
Translated: These beautiful individuals love the toggle switches I have in my car to control the high powered hydraulics to make the front of my motor vehicle bounce vertically.

Im sure the translated domain was not available.

The quote has been used in countless songs one way or another by NWA and solo stuff by Dre and Ice Cube ect... So growing up in that time era, I do find it as a funny quote and thats why I posted that it did not bother me, I just don't this all people see it this way. I agree that it may just be limiting his customer base.

Cody

Good summary.

Maybe he should try and secure the translated domain.    ;D
Function f(x)

Guitarmageddon

As a kid there was a local electrician who had a fleet of vans with "John R Salt" lettered boldly across them.
Many a wag scrubbed off the "T" and the vans continued to circulate around town, I can't help but wonder if he wasn't taking the Oscar Wilde approach. (The only thing worse than...)
Frankly, I have no problem with Lawrence's business name, and I think it's a bit uptight to carry on about it. My sense of the man is it's certainly firmly tongue in check.
I find his prices, as promised, to be very low, communication and shipping very fast, and general "style" engaging. I'm actually surprised there is so much discussion about the name, yet so little attention paid to the quality of his parts, some of which I've found to be extremely poor or even faulty and unusable.

Language is a fluid thing, words have different meanings from place to place and connotations shift with time.
For additional reflection and your amusement (or outrage ;))
http://bestonlinemba.net/50-of-the-worst-business-names

Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

pickdropper

Oh, I think we've all agreed that it's tongue and cheek and that he appears to be a good guy.

It's evolved into a discussion on language and the value of taking that into account when naming one's business.  I think it's an interesting discussion and could apply to a countless number of businesses.

It reminds me of the first time I saw the Assmann catalog at work.  I know they are a German connector company, but the name makes them a punchline in the US.  Very popular with Seinfeld fans, however.   ;D
Function f(x)

Thomas_H

Assman is quite a common name in Germany. But i dont know a company with international footprint of that name. Maybe you mean Ansmann which do rechargable batteries and the like?
DIY-PCBs and projects:

pickdropper

Quote from: Thomas_H on March 15, 2014, 01:04:47 PM
Assman is quite a common name in Germany. But i dont know a company with international footprint of that name. Maybe you mean Ansmann which do rechargable batteries and the like?

Yeah, it's obviously nothing offensive (it's somebody's surname).  I was just speaking to Ben's point about languages being a fluid thing in different cultures.

Here is the Assmann connector company's website:

http://assmann.us/
Function f(x)

Thomas_H

I do own some of their patch-cables :-)
DIY-PCBs and projects:

DutchMF

I'm not known for my PC-ness, so I don't care about the name of the website. I thought Brians alternative was even better! But what surprises me most in this discussion is people complaining about not being able to order from the site while at work..... Shouldn't you be, like, working?  ;)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Thomas_H

Quote from: DutchMF on March 15, 2014, 03:01:31 PM
... complaining about not being able to order from the site while at work..... Shouldn't you be, like, working?  ;)

Paul

Never heard of the "working while at work" concept. must be a very ancient one :-)
DIY-PCBs and projects:

jimilee

But what surprises me most in this discussion is people complaining about not being able to order from the site while at work..... Shouldn't you be, like, working?  ;)

Paul
We'll call that plan 'B'
Overall I'm surprised at how much you guys are concerned for his business model. It must be working for him, so there that....
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

brucer

Quote from: Thomas_H on March 15, 2014, 03:32:18 PM
Never heard of the "working while at work" concept. must be a very ancient one :-)

Love it.  Funniest post so far ... and it's had some competition!

BTW.  Nothing but good things to say about BLMS: great prices, as advertised, shipped fast and cheap.  Great service.

alanp

I'm not known for my PC-ness, so I don't care about the name of the website. I thought Brians alternative was even better! But what surprises me most in this discussion is people complaining about not being able to order from the site while at work..... Shouldn't you be, like, working?  ;)

That's one thing about my job -- working in a slaughterhouse, it's damn obvious to the supervisor when you're not working (you're the only bugger whose knife isn't moving.) Not to mention that only managers use proper computers -- I work with a touchscreen to label my cartons, but the most you can do with it is that, and solitaire (with a screen exposed to the rest of the room.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GrindCustoms

Since this is already off-topic and maybe a good thing... because Seriously... if bothered by the name... but the products offered are good but you can't order from «Job».... do it from home.. i just can't assimilate that thought pattern. Sorry.

I've ordered from Tayda many time, i don't know what tayda means... do i bother about it. No.  or.... Small Bear or Mammoth.. it's animals... what is the link with DIY... NONE! What is the point of all this, to each their own.

End of rant, if you feel like i'm bruising you.. sorry, i'm not the «soft guy» type.

Quote from: alanp on March 15, 2014, 06:00:37 PM

That's one thing about my job -- working in a slaughterhouse, it's damn obvious to the supervisor when you're not working (you're the only bugger whose knife isn't moving.) Not to mention that only managers use proper computers -- I work with a touchscreen to label my cartons, but the most you can do with it is that, and solitaire (with a screen exposed to the rest of the room.)

I'm in for a Kangoroo jerky groupbuy... maybe Vegemite too! ;D

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/