News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BLMS... dislike the name, like the guy

Started by jkokura, March 12, 2014, 07:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rude

Lawrence is the best. His enclosure are great and a wonderful price too. His Kilo International knobs he has had were a great find too. I get most of our "hardware" type stuff from him. His Ohnoho pedals are fun too. While they're pretty simple design wise, they are a good time. Also his demo videos are the best; especially the one for his "blowing up" booster! Get on his mailing list. He sends out one message a month with store updates plus he always adds a funny/interesting video at the end ;)

alanp

Could be worse. He could have gone with a more Kiwi-flavoured one. "Good Parts For Good C***s".

(C*** can be a very highly charged insult here. It can also be a very mate-y thing. "Barry? He's a right good c***, he is!" It's not used in public often, more between good mates who know the other won't misunderstand.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lincolnic

I'm also in the "dislike the name, like the guy" category. The switches I've gotten from him seem to be good quality, and since I only live a mile or two away I get my orders the next day.

A lot of the time I wonder why there aren't many (any?) girls in the DIY pedal community. I don't know if things like this are actively sending anyone away, but it's probably not helping either.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: lincolnic on March 13, 2014, 04:08:02 AM
I'm also in the "dislike the name, like the guy" category. The switches I've gotten from him seem to be good quality, and since I only live a mile or two away I get my orders the next day.

A lot of the time I wonder why there aren't many (any?) girls in the DIY pedal community. I don't know if things like this are actively sending anyone away, but it's probably not helping either.

Maybe it's simply a method of keeping control on his buisness... he keeps loyal customers and don't have to deal with the bummed one.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jkokura

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 13, 2014, 04:09:49 AM
Maybe it's simply a method of keeping control on his buisness... he keeps loyal customers and don't have to deal with the bummed one.

I can tell you that it's not that. I've asked him about it. Honestly, he just picked the name because he thought is was funny, it rhymed, and it made sense to him. He says he didn't know the negative connotations to the word Bitches would cause anyone to have issues.

Lawrence has respect for the people who dislike the name. He didn't understand it, but he certainly has heard the other side and is respectful of what other people think.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GrindCustoms

Quote from: jkokura on March 13, 2014, 04:20:37 AM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 13, 2014, 04:09:49 AM

I can tell you that it's not that. I've asked him about it. Honestly, he just picked the name because he thought is was funny, it rhymed, and it made sense to him. He says he didn't know the negative connotations to the word Bitches would cause anyone to have issues.

Lawrence has respect for the people who dislike the name. He didn't understand it, but he certainly has heard the other side and is respectful of what other people think.

Jacob

Ah! He got a nice sense of humor then, respect.

I only hope that he fixes the issue with is «Lumberg» style DC jack, only problem i've had with is offering and some 3PDT that where crooked, but a simple email and fix things in your next order. Definitly a nice guy to deal with.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

marmaliser

"Bitches love my switches"

Should be used in an add campaign to get women to turn the fecking lights OFF !!!!!

flanagan0718

I actually stumbled upon his site at like 2:45 am one morning. I woke my dog up laughing. I've never ordered from him but I do need some enclosures...hmm. I think it might be time.

Droogie

since I only live a mile or two away I get my orders the next day.

I'm in Brooklyn too, but for some reason the Post Office always botches delivery either to my work or home address (not Lawrences' fault). I wish he had local pickup like Steve at Small Bear—usually same day if I order in the a.m.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

peAk

Quote from: Droogie on March 13, 2014, 05:09:06 PM

I'm in Brooklyn too, but for some reason the Post Office always botches delivery either to my work or home address (not Lawrences' fault). I wish he had local pickup like Steve at Small Bear—usually same day if I order in the a.m.

man, if I had local pickup at Smallbear.....that would be a dream!

Leevibe

Quote from: peAk on March 13, 2014, 05:11:54 PM
Quote from: Droogie on March 13, 2014, 05:09:06 PM

man, if I had local pickup at Smallbear.....that would be a dream!

It would be my undoing!!!

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on March 12, 2014, 09:50:30 PM
Yeah, I've talked to him about the name issue as well. I think he was just not aware of the negative connotations of the word 'Bitch.' I think he thinks of it terms of a friendship that has the room to use derogatory words in affection.

Quite frankly, I think that word has got to go, but I do like Lawrence.

Jacob

I  get the same impression from his posts.

I don't find it highly offensive, but I do find it pointless from a business perspective.  I am sure some find it funny, but I would estimate that it puts off enough people that it affects his business.  I completely agree that it's his prerogative what he wants to name his business and I may even order from him at some point, but I don't really understand why he'd make that compromise.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

lincolnic

I've done the local pickup a couple of times from Small Bear, but since you still have to pay the shipping charge I'm usually content to let it arrive in the mail the next day. I live about 15 minutes from Park Slope on the train, but I'd rather save the $5 on my Metrocard. Maybe when the weather's nice enough to bike again I'll do more local pickups.

peAk

Quote from: lincolnic on March 13, 2014, 05:59:48 PM
I've done the local pickup a couple of times from Small Bear, but since you still have to pay the shipping charge I'm usually content to let it arrive in the mail the next day. I live about 15 minutes from Park Slope on the train, but I'd rather save the $5 on my Metrocard. Maybe when the weather's nice enough to bike again I'll do more local pickups.

ooh, didn't think you would have to pay shipping....but I guess he still need to pick it and stuff.

I guess you have to pay taxes too?

Droogie

Quote from: lincolnic on March 13, 2014, 05:59:48 PM

True. I used to live literally around the corner from the copy shop—that was dangerous. Not it the nabe anymore, but will stop off on the way home from work.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric